A job interview

MY kids are finally in school ,,i go to job int after job int.............when i dont hear or dont get it ,,i am sooooooooooooooo down ,,,,,,,,,,,I need help ,,,cnat deal w, rejection

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:40 PM on Oct. 21, 2009 in Money & Work

• That happens a lot. It could be so many Things. Does your experience match with what you say you can do? Do you look professional? In the end I think I figured out what it could be, the credit score, because one employer said it was personal that was back in 2003. They never even call you back. Also is your back ground check OK? and drug testing. Remember never lie on a Resume. Finally did get a job and got the call the same day of the interview at 8pm that I got the job could not believe it. Also in you're down time get more skills.

Help707

Answer by Help707 at 12:52 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I'm not meaning to be critical, I'm honestly trying to help. The question you just posted contains many misspellings and punctuation errors. If you filled out a job application with these types of mistakes I wouldn't want to hire you either.

When you don't get the job, ask the hiring supervisor if they can tell you why you were not chosen. Ask them to be honest so you can improve on those skills and make yourself more marketable. Times are tough and there are many people in the job market right now. Don't quit looking, just improve on your weaknesses.
    Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 12:52 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• How prepared are you for the interviews? Do you send handwritten thank you notes after each one? I do career and job search coaching, send me a message offlist if you want to chat.

There is support and there are great tips in the CafeMom Job Hunting Moms Group: http://www.cafemom.com/group/jobhuntingmoms

Answer by rkoloms at 1:27 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I agree with the mis-spelling and punctuation errors. The credit report, background, drug testing, etc. MOST employers are not going to check those things until after they give you an offer. So, I doubt that is the issue in your case.

I've been called back on 2nd interviews 4 times already this year, 3 of reasons were because their corporate office or management decided to not fill the position, or take another route, like consolidate jobs. The other interview, I believe they just found a more experienced person.

If you have the qualifications, and you know you do, don't be down on yourself at all. I know it's easier said than done. I have 15-years of experience, last job was in internal audit, and I am still unemployed.

IT'S AN EMPLOYERS MARKET.
    BingsMommy

Answer by BingsMommy at 1:42 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Timing is all wrong at the moment, so competition is rough out there. Most will hire people with experience.  Just keep interviewing and soon rejections would affect you as much.

Anonymous

• Please do not get discouraged and/or depressed because of this! It isn't worth the effort. I know. Been there a lot lately myself. It's more the economy than you or your abilities. The best advice I can give you is to research. First, you can go to the library and check out books that teach you how to interview with success. There are many! In fact, there's a book by that title:

http://www.impactpublications.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=5544

Here are some more links for other interview books:

http://jobsearch.about.com/od/toppicks/tp/jobinterview.htm

http://www.quintcareers.com/interviewing_books.html

The library is your best source for this information.

Next, research the individual company that you are sending the resume to. Google it. Employers
    are impressed when you know about their company, even if it is a retail store. (more to follow...)
    PSMother

Answer by PSMother at 4:01 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• If at all possible, go to the person in charge of hiring, and hand-deliver your resume and application. Don't forget a personalized cover letter stating your interest in the job position and a reason why you should be looked at for this opportunity. It's all about making them want to take a second look at you. They are swamped with applications these days and they need a reason to remember yours. Don't make it cheesey ~ one person actually sent a resume with little dogs as a border b/c she heard the employers liked that particular dog. It stood out, but not in a good way!

They want to know why you would be the better choice over the others. What are the strengths that you would bring to the company? Why would YOU be an asset? This is why is it so important to do your research before you ever send that resume.

Good luck, and have faith. You will land that perfect job when it's the right time.
    PSMother

Answer by PSMother at 4:07 PM on Oct. 21, 2009