Still terrified about a VBAC

My last question explained in greater detail about my unneccesary c-sec w/ my 1st child 19 months ago. I am 12 weeks along w/ baby #2 & am faced with this decision everyday. I know all the risks & stats & have spoken with mothers who have had great success w/ their own vbacs & nurses begging me not to bcause of the terrible things they have seen gone wrong w/ vbacs. My dilema runs deeper because my husband & I want at least 3 children. After each c-section the risk 4 mother & baby grows & many doctors use 3 as the average "maximum". This decision is huge because unlike the 1st time around, I know that my choices today affect my options 2morrow. I am afraid of another c-sec bcause it means greater risk 4 the next babies & I may be limited to the # of children I will be "allowed" to have. I am terrified of a uterine rupture during a vbac because that could mean the loss of baby #2 & the inability to have any more kids. Pls help.

CafeMomBinky

Asked by CafeMomBinky at 12:40 PM on Oct. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Talk to your doctor. Depending on the way the incisions were made for your first c-sec you should be able to have multiple c-secs. I was dead set on a V-Bac with my DD but it did not work out for me. I think the big thing with a v-bac for me was that I did not want to have pain meds because it can cause you to miss some early rupture signs. Do some research and verify what you read with your doctor. They should be able to counsel you in the direction that would not only meet your needs but that you can be confident with.

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:57 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• i understand why you are scared. but your risk of rupture is still less than 1% with VBAC right? and i you trust your dr/midwife, then you trust that s/he will spot the signs that rupture might happen. gl hon, if it were me, i would VBAC. nurses are often inundated with acog's view on things, and they have their own reasons for wanting to discourage VBAC. so sorry you are having to make such a tough choice.
    Anonymous

• I would be terrified of a c-section. There is little reason to be terrified of a VBAC.

Hire a doula. Do a google search and find a doula in your area. If you can't afford full fees some doulas charge on sliding fee schedule. Some will barter.

The risk of uterine rupture is 0.5-1%, maybe even less. The statistics are a little different depending on where you look and what kind of incision you had. It's good that your birth will be at least 24 months apart. Do not allow them to induce your labor.

I would go for a very quiet labor with gentle pushing. A waterbirth if possible.

I saw a labor on TV with a mom with a disease and she couldn't have a c-section or push. The doctor was on TV talking about how no one has to push, the baby will come out on its own. They showed her birth and it worked.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:08 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Remember that all the risks for a VBAC are present in a first-time birth, even uterine rupture. The risk for uterine rupture goes up after a C-section, but not by much, and most of the ruptures that do happen are not life-threatening for mother or baby, especially in a hospital setting where they're equipped to handle emergency situations like that. Would you have chosen a C-section from the beginning of your first pregnancy just to avoid all the what-if's during childbirth? What about all the what-if's during a C-section?

I ultimately chose a VBAC for the same reason you're undecided: I might want more kids, and I don't know how many more I'll end up wanting when it's all said and done. A VBAC was the best way for me to assure myself of the possibility, at least, even if I end up not wanting more.

If you ever want to talk to someone about it, feel free to send me a message; I know where you're coming from.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:08 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• i'm anon 12:57 and i agree with PP. so many will tell you that VBAC is dangerous but they don't even do the research to realize that c-section is much more dangerous. :) best wishes to you.
    Anonymous

• You are reading and getting informed~ that is great!
    Have you talked with different care providers? A nurse will have one perspective (seeing sick people because she works in a hospital) while a midwife attends normal birth and will have a *different* perspective.
    If you interview normal birth specialists you might find that you've been hearing about the worst cases from a "sick house" perspective.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:25 PM on Oct. 21, 2009