Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I wanna go back to school...Husband says no, I should wait!

I am a sahm of three girls (3,6,7). Husband works. We live comfortably. I just found out that I could use his GI Bill. That would pay for my classes. We only have one car. I called ITT Tech and they want me to come look at the campus. I see no harm in looking and getting a feel of things and ask questions. My husband wants me to wait till the begining of the year. Why? He says that we may not be in the area and we may have to move. The company maybe down sizing and thats why we may have to move. I feel a yerning for learning. Even if its one or two classes. I'm almost 30. I want more for my life and I don't want to wait. It seems like I keep putting things off. I want to look at the campus but knowing the husband is against it, is that like going behind his back? Any ideas?


Asked by scrapinmamaK at 12:48 PM on Oct. 21, 2009 in

Level 1 (3 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (10)
  • First off, I would avoid ITT tech. Most of thier classes will not transfer. I would also wait until the beginning of the year to see what happens with his job. In the mean time, you can find some personal enrichment classes to take at the Continuing Education Center at a community college. You can also do some online research about different colleges in your area too. Also, take the time now to look into the GI Bill and which one you would like to use or which one you qualify for. I am not sure how it works if the spouse gets it, but my husband gets paid $1320 a month to go to college. (that is for the Chapter 30 GI Bill) The 9/11 GI Bill pays for tuition and Housing allowance, so for my area that would be $900 a month. You could use this to persuade your husband into letting you look into college now. This money could come in handy if he thinks he is about to lose his job. Good Luck!

    Answer by JeremysMom at 9:11 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

  • You could take some online classes at a state college. Take classes that would easily transfer to another college if you moved.

    Answer by Gailll at 12:51 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

  • I would just tell him that you understand things may change, but you really want to just take one class to get out and learn and have some free time. Ask him if he will go with you or if he minds if you go look. maybe he has other reasons for not wanting you to go, but try to just talk about it and see what he says.

    Answer by ria7 at 12:52 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

  • He didn't say no, he just wants you to wiat until january....I don't think it would be too difficult to respect him by waiting a few months, especailly with the holidays right around the corner to keep you busy. If he continues to give you reasons to wait after the first of the year, then you could reconsider.

    Answer by christyg at 12:53 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

  • wait ITT tech insituite thats near me.. u must live in VA? inless its all around.. but i understand ur husband in military u may be moving i def would wait unless u would stay there until u finish school without him which i would die doing

    Answer by SweetiePieAfWf at 1:01 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

  • My husband's company has been down sizing too. I think your husband is carrying around a whole lot of stress that he's been protecting you from. The economy is hurting and your husband is recognizing that your comfortable lifestyle may soon change if he gets laid off.

    My advice is to listen to him. He's not telling you no...he isn't being selfish or a tyrant...he's just asking that you wait. Wait until he feels it's a good time for you to go back to school. This is a family decision.

    Answer by ThrivingMom at 1:08 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

  • First off, I would like to say that I go to school and work. I couldn't imagine not being in school. I wouldn't ever do an online college, unless it was classes at my local community college or tech school- I have no idea how ITT Tech does it. But the school I'm transfering too has online classes. I wouldn't do them from an online college like Troy or Phoenix. But that's just me. They make it harder to get the degree you want (depending on the degree your seeking). Also, I think your husband is trying to control the situation. If you don't go now, there's a chance you might not ever go. Why should he always have the car? I'm guessing he went to some sort of school in order for you to have a good living. Well, it's your turn. I know alot of tech schools have daycares or faciilites like them for moms. The one I'm going to next semester does. I wouldn't put it off. Tell him to shove it-this is your choice. Don't let him make it.

    Answer by SaraP1989 at 1:24 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

  • Even if his company is downsizing why would that mean you'd have to move? He couldn't get another job there? Seriously, you've got the urge now. Go before that urge is over.

    Answer by SaraP1989 at 1:25 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

  • Stay away from for-profit schools (like ITT Tech). They exist, by law, to make money for their owners/shareholders; education is not their priority. When I was in HR, I did not interview candidates from the for-profit schools.

    Start with a community college; they will likely have many classes on line and the credits will easily transfer to a state university.

    Have a couple of informational interviews with people in your chosen field to help you determine whether or not this is the right career choice for you. Check to see if there are open jobs in this field, too.

    One class at a community college will cost around $200; I can't see why your husband would object. Actually, you can easily save this by cutting out expenses.

    Answer by rkoloms at 2:09 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

  • It does not hurt to check out schools, but make sure the courses and credits will transfer or you are wasting money and time. If your husband really thinks you will need to move, it won't hurt to wait a few months. You probably won't be able to start until January anyway. You really should start school as soon as possible. The longer you wait, the less likely you will to go back. I am 38 and just went back to school and it is not easy. I have a 13 year old that is in sports, needs help in school and needs his mom to help him navigate puberty and adolescenses. But it the end, it will be well worth it. To be education is the most important thing in the world and something no one can take away from you.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:26 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

Next question in
For homeschooling moms *pioc*

Next question overall (Trying to Conceive)
Has anyone ever