Military Wives...

What is a good website to learn about all the different branches of Military?

When trying to decide between all of them?

Or anything else useful..

Thanks so much..

If you can add something too please do...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:51 PM on Oct. 21, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:06 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• If you want to look at the bases for the Marine Corps you can go to usmclife.com
    usmc0351wife

Answer by usmc0351wife at 1:14 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Navy!
    Anonymous

• I'll save you the research. Choose the Air Force. They treat their dependents better. The bases/housing are nicer. You will also have fewer & probably shorter deployments.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 3:59 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• OP here- It's for my SO and he was thinking about the Air Force. To be honest the whole reason is because we are financially struggling. Would it be better if we were married?
    Anonymous

• I agree with yourspecialkid. Even when we went to the recruiters offices of the Army and Navy, the recruiters themselves told my hubby that Air Force is MUCH better for families. Quality of life standards are higher (base housing, base activities for families, etc), deployments are most of the time shorter than other branches, training time is shorter. We've been a military family for 12 years and we would not change a thing.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 4:59 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• yes it would be better if you were married because if you are not married, you get none of the benefits like free medical, base housing, none of it. He would get to live in a dorm, or if you have kids he and the kids could live in base housing and the kids would get benefits but you would not. If you are married, you have commissary and BX shopping priveleges, base housing or BAH to live off base, all sorts of benefits.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 5:01 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• But I will tell you, if he enlists the pay is not going to be that great for a while, but you WILL get free housing on base (no rent, no utility payments). You would start off at about $1400 per month, then go up to $1570 per month after he makes his next rank. He would get a BAS pay, which would be $323 a month also.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 5:04 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Would it be better if we were married?

Absolutely... I am not saying get married just for that. But if you are planning on getting married do it before he joins up that way you get to go with him to his first duty station immediately after his training and are put on the housing waiting list as soon as he gets to his new home station.

My husband is Air Force he is a lifer...lol He is electronic warfare bomber avionics but cross training to SERE.
    I personally think you guys should consider the Air Force for the sake of deployments. Air Force deployments are usually shorter then any other branch. Army and Marines get 12-14 month deployments where the average for AF is 4-6 months (not talking about some AFSC Like fliers, TACP,Etc. They sometimes get deployed for longer)
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 6:07 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• OP- Thank you alot AprilDJC the information is very helpful.

Do you have to live on base to get free housing?

How long does it take to go to the next rank? ( So I know nothing about the military and how it works)

So when he first enlists he will get about $1400+ $323 a month, so about $1723 a month plus free housing and utilities? Am I right on that, J/W

How long is the process between joining and actually living in the housing and being a active AF?

I have more ?'s but can't think.

If you can add anything please do again thank you all very much.
    Anonymous