Have you ever been judge by how young you look and how did you deal and make friends.

I am having a difficulty making friends in Maryland, I get comments like shouldn't you be in school, or aren't you a little young to be a mom. I am 25 and my son is 4 and my daughter is 2. It feels like no one is giving me a chance, what can I do to fit in and make friends. Did I mention I just moved into the area.

MandieH

Asked by MandieH at 5:29 PM on Jun. 18, 2008 in Relationships

• I live in Maryland too! I still don't really have any mommy friends, other than my friends on CafeMom. It's really hard because I'm in school too. Good luck though.
    blackcat586

Answer by blackcat586 at 5:34 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I have gotten you luck young stuff most of my life I am 34 and look 22 lol!! I think it is a good thing. good luck!
    Sarah
    1boy1girl4me

Answer by 1boy1girl4me at 5:38 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I get that sometimes. I'm 25 w/ 3 kids. I either go with it and say that I was actually just on my way to study hall or remind them that when I'm 40 I'll look 28 and they'll look... well.... 40.
    momof3_dca

Answer by momof3_dca at 5:42 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• My personal opinion is that you have to learn to ignore the comments as they are inevitable. I'm 22 years old and as of September I will have two children. I get rude comments, sadly, on a fairly regular basis. You have to realize that someone will always have a comment about you no matter how old you are, how old you look, how you act, etc etc. I say just be true to yourself and you will eventually find friends worth having.
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 6:00 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I also live in Maryland and I am a youngish mom myself. I am 23 with a 14 month old. It can be hard. I have trouble making older mommy friends because I think they have this notion that we would have nothing in common. I think most would be surprised. Try going to mommy groups, play groups and dont worry about what other think.
    Mother2oneboy

Answer by Mother2oneboy at 6:42 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I have always looked very young and I love it now!! I am in my 30's and have two teens and always hear "you don't look old enough, to have them" I then say yeah I had them when I was in my late 20's and then really confuse people. (because I did-adopted)
    lifeisajoy

Answer by lifeisajoy at 12:09 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• Well, when I was pregnant at 19 and married at 20...people who remarked that I was a little young or naieve got the response " what else should I be doing? Partying every night? Doing drugs? Wasting my life? At least I am doing something worthwile and respectable unlike 90% of the other people my age!" Hope that helps a little. :)
    hannahjoy17

Answer by hannahjoy17 at 12:11 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• Dang no fair :( I bet older moms (of younger kids) have simliar probs but I bet NO ONE says rude things to their face like that.

Try MOPS.org
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 8:40 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• one more thought...
    you are going to be around to see your grandchildren and maybe even great grans. There are lots of good things about being young and vibrant (keeping up with those energetic legs!)

They COULD be saying they're jealous of how you look. But, I like the whole "Yup, on my way to study hall right now." You gotta try that one!
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 8:43 PM on Jun. 21, 2008