Other than dr appts, when did you take your newborn out to crowds? (Shopping, restaurants, etc)

Everyone tells me I should wait until my son is 6 weeks, but I'm going a little stir crazy here...

ebabybabybaby

Asked by ebabybabybaby at 12:49 PM on Jun. 24, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i didn't take my son out much at all during the 1st 3-4 months. I didn't feel well enough, i had a hard delievery. But if you're up for it, defenately get out of the house.

I don't think there is anything wrong with taking the baby out. As long as it's not during feeding time. He/she will probably sleep anyway!
    newmommyy322

Answer by newmommyy322 at 12:52 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• I had my son on December 20th. I took him out on Christmas Eve. To family. I don't know how old your baby is but he should be fine.
    miss.dee_dee615

Answer by miss.dee_dee615 at 12:54 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• I didn't have many options. I lived outta town and my mom came in town when i was already in the hospital. I had to make a walmart trip the day after she was born. My mom took me to go get a house full of things. Then, we were in the middle of moving so she met a lot of people the first week but after we got moved she didn't go a lot of places within the first 3 months.
    kinzleysmommy

Answer by kinzleysmommy at 12:58 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• Take the baby out the weather is nice go for a walk. My husband picked me up from the hospital and we headed for Stop & Shop there was no food in the house because we had just moved in and the next day I went in to have her, I was in for a week so we had to go out we went food shopping and to the video store...she was fine.
    momto1727

Answer by momto1727 at 1:10 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• i went out very little during his first week and then Thanksgiving dinner with family at one week old...by 3 weeks old i was xmas shopping with him at the mall...i kept him in his sling though so people couldnt get too close to him without getting really close to me.
    afeather

Answer by afeather at 1:21 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

afeather

• I TOOK MY TWINS OUT MY MOM THE DAY AFTER I CAME HOME AND CHURCHWHEN THEY WERE 4 OR 5 DAYS OLD
    BOOGIETHEBOOG

Answer by BOOGIETHEBOOG at 1:29 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• YOU KNOW YOUR BABY DO WHAT YOU WANT
    BOOGIETHEBOOG

Answer by BOOGIETHEBOOG at 1:30 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• Picking up illnesses from crowds is a usual concern, so you can keep out of crowded places where people cough, etc. More important is the sensory overload problem. I don't know where you live, but a quiet walk carrying your baby in a country setting is wonderful. Notice I said CARRYING. Baby does better in your arms, not far away where he can't touch you in a stroller or down by your knee in one of those carriers. If you have to put him into a grocery cart in front of you, notice what he is seeing as he lies there: overhead lights can be jarringly bright and you might decide to carry him instead. Be careful about going to noisy places, too. After 3 mos, his senses are a little less delicate. But peacefulness, when you go out and also all the time in the home (TV, stereo, vacuum cleaner,etc. can be very hard on a young child)is a big factor in helping a child's brain develop and have what it needs for intelligence and emotional health.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 1:43 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• My DD was born late Aug. of last year. We had a community festival about a weeks after her being born. It was still nice and warm outside. We put her in her stroller carseat combo and covered her up with the suncover thing. she was fine..and anytime someone wanted to see her I made them look throw the plastic peep hole instead of opening it up.
    kelcee_eric_bry

Answer by kelcee_eric_bry at 4:01 PM on Jun. 24, 2008