Pasta dough & bread

I'm at the grocery store and looking for the ingredients now. So I have a Pasta Express maker & The Bread Factory maker.

1. Do you have to use shortening? Can I just use butter?

Do you have to use bread four for French Bread? Can't I use regular four?
I

I can't find pasta dough uuhh!

Lol thanks home cookers :)

TummyPrincess

Asked by TummyPrincess at 12:58 PM on Oct. 21, 2009 in Food & Drink

• For pasta, use semolina flour.

French bread is very touchy; it actually does not come out well from an ABM.

I never use shortening, I use butter or Earth Balance.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:31 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I went to culinary school... heres the best answers I can give ya...

Instead of shortening, I use coconut oil in all my baking, never had a problem.

Bread flour has more protein, 12-13%... compared to 8% in all purpose flour. The higher protein content helps gluten develop... meaning your bread, during baking, goes from dense to light. French bread NEEDS bread flour to be "french bread".

Pasta dough.. IMO.. is way easier made by hand. Make a well of flour, add in your eggs (1 cup flour per egg), and use your hands to mix it all together. Toss into a stand mixer and place the dough hook to work it or knead by hand. (you can use semolina but I just use all purpose.. in school thats what we used unless we were making ravioli and then we would use sem.)

LuminousMom

Answer by LuminousMom at 1:45 PM on Oct. 21, 2009