Catholics...NPF and not having children

it is my understanding that as a Catholic, you can practice Natural Family Planning without condemnation...this enables you to prevent conception naturally...However, if you practice NFP and never want to have kids for any reason, it is a sin? Can someone explain how NFP is acceptable but not having kids, EVER, when practicing NFP is not ok...that you have to have some medical reason that prevents your ability to have kids?
Just something that I heard on a religious channel last night and it got me wondering...and made me feel like this is a contradiction.

Jademom07

Asked by Jademom07 at 1:22 PM on Oct. 21, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Think of it like this. Suppose there were a religious person, a nonreligious person, and an antireligious person walking past a church. What might each do?

Let's say the religious person goes inside and prays, the nonreligious person walks by and does nothing, and the antireligious person goes inside the church and desecrates it. (I'm framing an analogy, of course, but these are reasonable behaviors to expect.) Which of these three persons did something that is always, under every circumstance, wrong? The last, of course.

Husbands and wives are called to be procreative. If they have a good reason to avoid pregnancy, they are free to be non-procreative as are couples who are infertile. But it's a contradiction of the deepest essence of the sacrament of marriage to be anti-procreative - to actively work to stop the body from doing what God designed it to do.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 1:32 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• NFP is a joke. It doesn't work-my grandmother had 10 kids with NFP and she was Catholic to the bone. Catholics believe that sex is for the making of children. Which, yes, would sugguest that having sex without trying for a baby is a sin. I'll never understand it. I don't practice it, nor have I ever. I was raised Catholic.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 1:29 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• The Catholic Church doesn't teach that NFP is Ok because it's natural - the Catholic Church teaches that if there are valid reasons for spacing out children then the couple can use NFP to do that. But it's wrong to use any kind of contraception - to work to prevent a pregnancy. So it's wrong to use NFP contraceptively. However if the goal is to protect the health of the mother so a couple chooses not to have sex when the wife is fertile, that's OK. If the goal is to help ensure the basic financial needs of the family are met and so the couple chooses not to have sex when the wife is fertile that's OK. There are valid reasons that a couple can choose not to have sex, and not every time we have sex do we have to procreate - but the couple has to be open to life when they choose to have sex.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 1:31 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• My husband and I practice NFP because I do not like birth control, and it has been successful for us. I've known too many people who have conceived while on BCP or using condoms, so I feel that if I get pregnant despite using NFP, then it is what it is.
    As a Catholic, I do not know one person that takes NFP or to use/not use BCP to heart, nor have I heard it emphasized during the homily. What I consistently hear is pro-life.
    As in any religion - not just Catholicism - you will find fanatics that take doctrine and scripture literally.
    redmoonintexas

Answer by redmoonintexas at 1:33 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• NFP is a joke. It doesn't work-my grandmother had 10 kids with NFP and she was Catholic to the bone.

You do understand that NFP today is very different than for your grandmother.  NFP is much more than the calendar/rhythm method - it involves a woman understanding how her bodies work and recognizing the signs when she is ovulating and likely to be pregnant.  We have a great deal of information now about how ovulation works and so NFP when done correct is very successful - as succesful as the Pill which this study points out.

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 1:35 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• You can get pregnant ANY time of the month, therefore NFP is about effective as the pull out method. Both of them are useless. If you don't want to get pregnant, don't have sex.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 1:37 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Catholics believe that sex is for the making of children. Which, yes, would sugguest that having sex without trying for a baby is a sin.

Actually no that's not what the Catholic Chruch teaches.  The Catholic Church understand that there are two purposes for sex - procreation and unification of the husband and wife.  Both purposes are interwinded and should not be separated.  When a couple chooses to have sex they should be open to the possiblity of getting pregnant since that is one of the main purposes of having sex.  That doesn't mean they have to get pregnant or even that they should get pregnant every time they have sex.  As I said before, a couple is free to be non-procreative - it is being anti-procreative that is the problem.

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 1:37 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I'll never understand it. I don't practice it, nor have I ever. I was raised Catholic.

If you took to the time to learn more about it you might understand it better and then you wouldn't spread misinformation about it.

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 1:38 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I have studied. I made the decision to not practice it based on what I've learned about it. Don't try and tell me what I do and do not know about it.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 1:40 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• You can get pregnant ANY time of the month

You may want to increase your knowledge of the female reproductive system as this statement is not even close to accurate

Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:41 PM on Oct. 21, 2009