When do we loose the crib rails? My son is 2.5, doesn't mind the crib, doesn't climb out...should we move onto a bed now?

lakecat

Asked by lakecat at 1:24 PM on Oct. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'd say it's time if he's two and a half. My son just turned two yesterday and is in his own bed.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 1:26 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I moved both my boys to a toddler bed when he was 1 year old. Then when we got into our new house I moved my oldest, 18 months, into a twin bed. They didnt have any problems transitioning to either.
    Amanda7891

Answer by Amanda7891 at 1:29 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• It's up to you really. A child can stay in his crib up to age 4 so long as he fits in it and is sleeping well in it.
    When you do decide to make the switch, you can either take the side off his crib and use it like a toddler bed or just put him in a twin bed with a bed rail.
    We travel a lot so when our twins were that age, we took the sides off the cribs (because they no longer fit in their pack n plays and needed to learn to sleep on the floor/air matress while away). I would've put them in beds with rails but DH was too nervous. They each fell out of bed once or twice and that was it. We got twin beds in Sept. and they've been doing great.
    Either way, the trick is to get him to stay in bed so just keep putting him back or gate his room off if you can. Another option would be just to put his matress on the floor for now. Good luck!
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 1:41 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I am in the same situation! I don't know when to switch my daughter, because we've had no problems with her crib! ...I figure I'll just keep her in the crib until she starts climbing out~
    Amapele7

Answer by Amapele7 at 1:49 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• i switched my dd at 18 mts. but i was also expectind my second
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 3:25 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Our pediatrician told us that if our son wasn't climbing out of the crib there was no reason to switch him. That being said, we chose to switch him on his second birthday, but that was because Mama's back couldn't take leaning over the crib anymore. He never did start climbing out of his crib and he still rarely gets out of his toddler bed until morning.
    mommyldwg

Answer by mommyldwg at 3:32 PM on Oct. 22, 2009