Does God decide when we will die?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:29 PM on Oct. 21, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• No, he decides when it's our time to join him. I don't believe that we really die...our spirit goes on.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:32 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Yes and no......If someone commits suicide, is killed at the hand of someone else, or say, does something stupid like OD or drink and drive.......then, no, I do NOT believe that is the time that they were "meant" to go. Now, to confuse you even more......God still remains in control of everything. So, using my own situation as an example.....My husband was in a wreck that should've taken his life 3 months prior to the one that actually did. I think God saved him from himself that time (and many others, I'm sure), but eventually he suffered the consequences of his own poor free-will choice. Having said that, I believe God allowed him to go when he did because at any other time it actually would've been worse......not sure I'm making sense to anyone else other than myself, here, lol.......As for actually "dying"......I think death is a birth into our eternal lives.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 2:04 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• This is a complex question and I don't have much time to answer.

God knows when we will die, He also has a plan withing His will for us if we will choose to follow. We can die before our time by living foolishly and wickedly:

"Do not be overly wicked, nor be foolish: Why should you die before your time?" (Ecc. 7:17)

Sometimes God, in His mercy, allows good people to die to remove them from evil:

"The righteous perishes,and no man takes it to heart; merciful men are taken away,while no one considers that the righteous is taken away from evil." (Is. 57:1)

I believe death is death. The Lord says, "the soul that sins, it shall die" ( Ezekiel 18:20). Souls can, and do, die.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 3:27 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• who cares!
    Anonymous

• Yes. God decides when we die. Just as he decides when we are conceived, when we are born. He is in full control while we are not. The devil has no control over anything except to whisper to the human being to do acts that disobey God.. other than that He cannot do a single thing. He has absolutely no power. He is not the taker of life as some would say.

Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 7:23 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• This is a very simple matter...

Allah says in his Final Revelation the Noble Quran

It is Allâh Who takes away the souls at the time of their death, and those that die not during their sleep. He keeps those (souls) for which He has ordained death and sends the rest for a term appointed. Verily, in this are signs for a people who think deeply. (Az-Zumar 39:42)
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 8:33 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Well put, LexyLex......that is what I was trying to say, lol!
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 8:39 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• windy in regards to your husbands accident and death.. and others similar to it. i was thinking about what you said and what i believe.. and wanted to share

I believe that accident was something ordained to happen in his life.. like anything esle. But it was not his destined predecreed time to expire. I believe everything has a final hour, minute, second if will. however I beleiv everything that happens to us good and bad is a test, a trial, a chance to come closer to God before our time is actually up. But at the appointed time of death.. No one can keep it away nor advance it not by a single hour.

and allah says regarding this...
    Al-A'raf - 7:34
    And every nation has its appointed term; when their term is reached, neither can they delay it nor can they advance it an hour (or a moment). (Al-A'raf 7:34)

so in essence his time came when it was supposed to happen by the will and permission of The Creator who controls all of it
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 9:00 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Christians are predestined.

Anon why do you even bother posting your arrogant crap on here? Who cares? Lots of people an obviously the OP Stop being disrespectful and if you aren't Christian then don't look at the Christian posts! Geez!
    Anonymous

• Aasiyah.....How can something be ordained to happen and yet not be his predetermined time to die?

Or are you trying to say........Due to the course of his free-will choices in his life it was inevitable but not necessarily when he would've died had he lived his life according to the original will of God??? I think I get what you are trying to say, but I'm not sure.......

Do you mean to say you believe he would have died in some fashion that night be it by a stroke or some other circumstance regardless of any poor choice he made?

I do believe God uses every instance in our lives for good or to bring us closer to Him if we will allow it.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 9:29 PM on Oct. 21, 2009