Why the drastic increase?

An internal congressional report questioning the ability of the Secret Service to continue fulfilling its duties was leaked to the Boston Globe. The report says the Secret Service is strained by a drastic increase in threats to President Obama, coupled with deep budget cuts. Some are speculating that the agency may need to relinquish all or part of its roles in protecting the country's financial machinery in order to focus resources on the protection of the president and other high-profile leaders.

The report, issued in August by the Congressional Research Service, claimed that if "an evaluation of the service's two missions" were to be done at this time, there's a good possibility that "it might be determined that it is ineffective...to conduct its protection mission and investigate financial crimes."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/ynews_ts950

Does it make you think twice about the ugly rhetoric and its origins?

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 1:30 PM on Oct. 21, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Looking at the hatred of the President spewed out on this group by mothers of children, I am not surprised that serious threats to the President have increased. A lot of it not because of his politics but because of his color. Racial prejudice and hatred is still embedded in sections of the American right, and not just in the South. It wasn't very long ago that there was virulent opposition to the extension of civil rights. Of course, blacks are OK if they keep to themselves but as President ? More than the more violent conservative rednecks can tolerate .
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 9:59 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Talking Points Memo noted that Ronald Kessler, the author of a recently released book on the Secret Service's protection of U.S. presidents, recently said that threats against President Obama are up 400 percent from the number of threats levied against former President George W. Bush, while the size of the agency's staff has only increased by 5.3 percent.

The Southern Poverty Law Center says that the U.S. has seen a 35 percent rise in hate groups in recent years, and few doubt that the discontent stirred up over the election of an African-American president is fueling the rise in threats

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 1:31 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• No. by reading in betweenthe lines it is telling me NationalSecurity will be decreased in order to protect the Azzhole that is asking for real trouble on his hands. Why not continue to piss off the majority of the country at will when you know you are protected by the most capable hands in the worlds. Why would Obozo care National Security is jeoardized as long as he is protected.The agency has to protect Obozo at all costs just to keep the reputationof the U.S. highly regarded so nothing bad happens to our first black president. It's not the color of his skin people hate, it's HIM in general. But, the Libtards would have you believe crazy religious fanatics and conservatives are the ones who will be responsible. A deranged minority who felt he was not given what was supposed to be given to him by electing him will be the most disgruntled. Read Farrakhan's most recent speech in Memphis.
    Anonymous

• Crime always goes up when the economy is in the crapper. Threats to the President were of course going to go up there are racists in America and they are angry a black man is in office. I will still speak out against Obama on the things I disagree with him on. That won't change. What I have said has not harmed him in any way. You like to generalize people and lump all people you disagree with into the same catagory. But you are a moron so it is not that shocking.
    Anonymous

• ^^^ I agree completely
    Anonymous

No, I don't. The threats went up by 400%...That a LOT..and when did I say ANYONE who is opposed to Obama's policy is threatening him? or racist? Right, no where...that's YOU lumping people together

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 1:47 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• No. by reading in betweenthe lines it is telling me NationalSecurity will be decreased in order to protect the Azzhole that is asking for real trouble on his hands. Why not continue to piss off the majority of the country at will when you know you are protected by the most capable hands in the worlds.

National security is in no danger, his approval rating is above 50 % so you say he's pissing off half, the OTHER half disagrees with you. Are you saying he DESERVES death threats because YOU don't agree with his policy??

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 1:48 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• It makes me wonder why we are paying for golf carts.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:52 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Look I would ne willing to bet these threats have way more to do with the president and admin doing whatever they want instead of listening to the people..for example the majority do not want government control of healthcare..but they are going to do all they can to slide it all through regardless..at least their mouths and actions prove that to be so thus far..

I am I saying I think it has more to do with the POLICIES and cramming of down Americans throats then anything else...I do not condone the threats..just trying to give perspective...and I am sure for SOME it very well may be solely based on the color of his skin..
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 1:52 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• His approval rating is 49%, If there is no protection of the financial areas, there is no National Security. The two go hand in hand, it takes money lady to protect 300 million citizens. Doh!
    Anonymous