How to get a six year old to speak her feelings

So my six year old daughter is always happy loves helping others just an all around good girl, but when it comes to speaking her feelings well not so good when she gets imbarest she runs crying to her room, I try to ask her how she is feeling and she does not want to talk about stuff like that, is that just normal for her age or am I not doing something rite?

staceyhewitt

Asked by staceyhewitt at 1:33 PM on Oct. 21, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Maybe you could come up with a feeling box that has different faces that represent different emotions...when she is feeling a certain way she takes the appropriate face out of the box and it gets velcroed to the top...this way you know how she feels and she doesn't have to say anything...then maybe you can work from there on getting her to be more vocal.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:43 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I'm not an expert but it sounds normal to me. I think when anyone is embarrassed they don't feel like talking about it. What I suggest is when things are fine and she's not crying, just let her know that it's okay to talk about things when they bother her. If you haven't already, take her out for some one on one time and reassure her that you are there for her and she can count on you and turn to you. Try to find the source of her embarrassment and see if it can be resolved. If she sees that you stick up for her, maybe she will feel more comfortable opening up to you. Good luck and God bless!
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 1:44 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• thank you see we do the fellings thing but she just closes up her doctor says its just her age but for me i think its very important to talk about whats bothering you idk i just hope she can learn to be more verbal and does not bottle her emotions :(
    staceyhewitt

Answer by staceyhewitt at 5:05 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Show your feelings!! She needs to know that it is ok to show your feelings. Stop pushing her to share her feelings, you are making it more uncomfortable for her. It is ok to sometimes, not talk about feelings. Let her show them in her own time and own way. She will become more verbal once you stop pushing her to share them.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:08 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I dont believe I am pushing her at all but thanks for the advise
    staceyhewitt

Answer by staceyhewitt at 10:42 PM on Oct. 22, 2009