Why isnt my 8 month old sleeping at night?

She started sleeping throught the night at 2 months and was only waking up at 5am to eat and would go back to sleep until 7am. But we moved her from her cradle to her crib at 5 months and now she wakes up all hours of the night! I breastfeed her before bed and she gets babyfood around 7pm.(goes to bed around 9-9:30pm) Im just not sure what to do! She takes 2 to 3 naps a day. And is a very happy baby! But she just fuses a lot at night! (not crying) I give her the binkie a few times and then nurse her a few times and she goes right back to sleep but why all the waking up?

mommy3109

Asked by mommy3109 at 1:52 PM on Oct. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you created a bed time schedule for her? Try giving her a bath and feeding her right before you lay her down. Rocking her and singing are other good ways to get her to go to sleep. Do the same thing every night and will eventually become her cue that it's bedtime.

When she wakes up during the night, don't pick her up unless she is crying. (you know the cry when she needs something lol) Instead of picking her up or even talking to her, just make gentle shush noises and pat her back or rub her belly, whichever way she's laying down. Hope this is helpful and good luck!
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 2:01 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• my son went through this....he slept all night from 2-4 mo old and then he got a cold and didn't sleep through the night again untill 11 mo....I tried everything, keeping a schedule, rubbing instead of picking up...but he couldn't get back in the habit...you might have to just deal with it for a while, but it won't last forever.
    Hulkgrrl

Answer by Hulkgrrl at 2:12 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Infants change sleeping patterns normally. I'd never expect one pattern to stay in place for a year.

She's waking because she's normal.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:24 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• My daughter has always been like that, she's one now and still wakes up in the night for her paci and her silkie.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 2:34 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Is she in her own room? Maybe she just wakes up and realizes your not there, and she cries. My son still does this. If he is in his own room, he cries all night. But I put his crib in my room with a nightlight next to it and he still wakes up, but he doesn't cry if he sees me there. I think he just doesn't want to feel alone.
    ProudMami2008

Answer by ProudMami2008 at 2:38 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• My Daughter Wakes 11 Mths And Wakes Up Every Know And Then Sometimes She Crys I Use 2 Go And Pick Her Up Ive Learned 2 Wait About 5 Min And She Goes Back 2 Sleep If She Is Still Cryin After About 10 Min Then Ill Go In There Shes Been Sleeping In Her Crib Since She Was 4 Weeks Old.
    Anonymous

• I think your baby's bed time is too late. I think if you develop a steady 2 naps a day schedule with a 7:00 or 7:30 bed time that things will go much better. My babies didn't move from a 7pm bedtime to an 8 pm bedtime until around 14 months old. I think 8pm is a good bedtime to stick with all the way through 1st grade. An over tired baby sleep less instead of more.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 7:22 PM on Oct. 21, 2009