Do they check you for STD and stuff when your pregnant so that you dont pass it on to the baby?

So here's the story...me and my best friend at work were talking and her boyfriend slept with a girl who just had a baby about 2 1/2 weeks ago and she found out when she had the baby that she had gonorrea (sp)...he says he slept with her about 2 months before she got pregnant when her and her husband were "split up" but she didnt know she had an STD til she had the baby...He got tested and he had it too (friends bf)...So were thinking that she got it after she was already pregnant and after she got tested to see if she had anything and then slept with somebody and got it and then slept with my friends bf and he got it...because dont they ALWAYS do a pelvic exam to test for STDs, HIV, AIDS etc?

Hope all that just made sense lol

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:54 PM on Oct. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Yes they do test you when you find out that you're pregnant or shortly thereafter. Luckily that's a cureable std.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 1:57 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• It sounds more like she knew she had it. I've aways been tested during all my pregnancies.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 1:57 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Yes, they do, but it isn't impossible that she got it beforehand.....are you trying to figure out if maybe he slept with her after he said he did?...since he has it as well.

It does sound like he slept with her afterwards. Maybe he's the one that gave it to her? Does your friend have it (either way, she should get tested).
    Anonymous

• Oops. I was the anonymous at 1:59 p.m. I didn't mean to check the box.
    jlry_ldy

Answer by jlry_ldy at 1:59 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• They do a pelvic exam and in that is STD testing... So, you would think she would be aware BUT it could have been overlooked and sometimes the doctor will ask for consent to test for STD's. I know for me, I always decline them because I know where I have been, where my husband has been and where we aren't going! haha. So the point is, she could have denied the testing or blew it off. Also, for my second pregnancy, I didn't have a pelvic done AT ALL! So, it depends on a lot of things...
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 2:00 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• well they do but sometimes they miss things....i know a freind of a freind who has hpv and didn't know it...had a break out while she was pregnant asked the doctor about it and he told her she had a skin tag....the baby aspirated when it was born and now has to have surgery every six weeks to get warts out of it's throaght so it can eat.....so it may be as you think or maybe the docter screwed up.....either way it suxs and i hope everything works out ok
    Anonymous

• When I was pregnant and went for my first exam, I specifically asked if they were testing for STD's. My Dr. said no, they only test for STD's upon request. I said that I thought it was mandatory for preg women to be tested. She said that in the high risk areas like clinics they routinely test, but regular dr.'s do not. I found this weird.
    Anonymous

• Yeah we think either she gave it to him or he gave it to her and luckily my friend didn't get it bc they'd only been sleeping together for maybe a month and used protection everytime. I think she may have killed him if she would have had it.
    She had told me about it a few weeks ago and for some reason I was thinking about it yesterday and I'm 6 months pregnant right now and remember they checked me at my first visitand the same thing with my first DD so I brought it to my friends attention that he more than likely had to have sex with the girl AFTER she was already pregnant and got it or gave it to her since they should have already checked her.
    He may not be her boyfriend much longer bc he's been lying about alot and with holding the "entire" truth on some things...
    Anonymous