Breast milk

I am planning to breast feed once the baby arrives.
I'm a little concerned that my milk wont come in in time when the baby is born. Has this happened to anyone?
Also, does anyone have any tips/tricks to increase the likelihood of breast milk being ready for the baby at birth?
I'd rather not resort to formula at all, if possible.

Munchkin09

Asked by Munchkin09 at 2:01 PM on Oct. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It can take up to 7 days after the birth for your milk to come in...until then you will produce colostrum which is liquid gold and has more nutrients than full blown milk so a little goes a long way...just keep up on your liquids and you only need to take in 500 additional calories for the breastmilk production...rest and low stress and you should be fine.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:05 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Why are you worried? For most women your milk doesn't come in for several days after the baby is born. Your breasts will have colustrum wich is all your baby needs night. No reason to worry or find some recipe for more milk just yet. Relax and await the arrival of your baby. :)
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 2:05 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• well they were worry my milk wasn't going to come in after I had my son had him at 24weeks but body notice I had him and they just came in
    enaNianza

Answer by enaNianza at 2:06 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• My milk did not come in until day five with my first and day four with my second. Neither EVER had formula or even a bottle. For the first few days you will make colostrum and that is all they need until your milk comes in.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 2:10 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I agree with what everyone else has said. My milk came in the third day after I had my daughter. She has never had formula.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 2:13 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I nursed exclusively for six months, and was surprised that from the moment my daughter was born my body knew just what to do. Until your milk comes in you will produce colostrum which is enough for baby. Make sure to put baby to the breast as soon as possible after delivery and then every couple of hours for the first several days which is tiring but worth it. I would also bring some Lanolin ointment with you to the hospital to apply if your nipples get sore- it really helps and is safe for baby. And I read up on breast feeding which was really helpful. You can also take advantage of the lactation specialist at the hospital to help get you started on the right track. By the time my milk came in I was home from the hospital and a warm, damp towel wrapped around a heating pad and placed on my chest really helped relieve the engorgement so I could nurse comfortably.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:14 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• There is NOTHING to do pre-delivery but get educated. Pick up a copy of "So That's What They're For!" by Janet Tamaro. Join an online breastfeeding group...and I'll pimp the one I moderate here on CM..."breastfeeding moms."

LEARN as much as you can now. Milk takes up to six days to come in. Colostrum will be there first and is PLENTY.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:26 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• milk doesn tcome in till 3-7 days after the baby isborn. just read, take classes, join a local bf group. fo the firstfew days of live all your baby needs is colustrum
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 2:33 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• you won't have milk immediately it will take a few days to come in. You still nurse your newborn becuase they get colestrum from you and they are perfectly fine with just that. It took 3 days for mine to come in and I'm still breastfeeding my 15 month old and I'm 34w 5d pregnant. You'll be just fine. Just try to nurse your baby right away and don't allow the nurses or Dr's to interfere with that. I suggest just like other mommies did, take a class, it can be very helpful and informative.
    angelbabies14

Answer by angelbabies14 at 8:23 PM on Oct. 21, 2009