My son who is 4 is going to be starting Headstart next week after the intake and home visit is done,I'm worried because3 I have a lot of peeling paint on my walls but the rest of the house is clean so I need to know what can I do since the worst damage is in the bathroom over the shower.Have anybody been scared of home visits from teachers because I've never had a teacher come to my house and anything wrong does he still go to school?

wandaluv

Asked by wandaluv at 2:48 PM on Oct. 21, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I'd never ever allow a homevisit. It makes me too uncomfortable. Too risky.
    Find a way around it or skip is my advice.

It's a crapshoot.... the teacher can say whatever she wants and will be believed. If she reports you, even if you're found innocent, your image is always tarnished. U could never adopt, be a foster parent, etc.
    Anonymous

• ...Why is she doing a home visit? There's really no reason to, honestly.
    Anything that can be said to you can be said in the "comforts" of her OWN classroom.

With peeling paint, the only thing you can do is take the rest off, sand lightly and repaint.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 2:57 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I know that sometimes it's not possible to avoid the home visits we go through in life. Make sure your house is really clean, no dishes, the fridge cleaned out, laundry done... don't just make it LOOK clean, make it freakin' spotless. And if you can, paint over the peeling paint in your bathroom. Is it lead paint or was your home built after 1978? If it's not lead paint (house is younger than 1978) then just explain that you clean up the paint chips every day, before and after the kids bathe and you don't allow them in the bathroom unsupervised.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 3:00 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• We had to agree to 3 homevisits through the year for our son's headstart program. In all honesty, the teacher came in, sat at the kitchen table (5' from the door) we filled out the paper work and she left. Its not like she was looking around the house for something wrong. She explained that the home visits are so the teacher can advise the admin if a particular student's parents need help at home. After her home visit we got a packet from the school helping us understand the services available to us tailored to what we told the teacher and what she saw. In our community we have a group that does things like go in and paint peoples homes who cannot (cant afford it, can't physically do it, ect) so don't be surprised if you get a referral if that is available in your community. Also, peeling paint is really common if they didn't prep correctly before painting, its not that big of a deal as long as you clean it up regularly.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 3:27 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Um...the teacher's home visit doesn't have anything to do with your peeling paint. It has to do with comfortable surroundings in which she can speak with your about your son and she can observe him. If your home is nasty dirty and gross...sure she might report it, but then anyone visiting should report you in that case.
    Anonymous

• I loved when my daughters teacher came to our house. It gave me a chance to talk with her one on one with how my child is what she should watch for what she likes and what she doesn't like. If gave my daughter a chance to get to know her teacher one on one without all the kids shouting at the teacher for her attention. I think they come more to review your child. My daughters teacher and teacher aid just sat on our couch and talked about my daughter. They asked us questions as well as her. I liked it
    LoveMySoldier13

Answer by LoveMySoldier13 at 6:43 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• i agree about the "teacher stayed 5' from the door" - i had a home visit from a social worker because my son was in the NICU and it is their policy... 5 feet from teh door, i teach and wouldnt want to do that! i would more look at the way the family dynamic was, like did you have a lot of other kids or just the one, are you single, do you work, background to better understand the kid and ?? about where you think he is -- does he know any letters, numbers, etc. if your house didnt stink i wouldnt care about some chipping paint, teachers generally have messy houses in my experience, never dirty but never perfect! dont worry too much, just clean the house and dont do anything stupid like having a drink before the visit to relax, you wouldnt believe how many parents come to confernces with alch on the breath!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 7:49 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• The teacher is not there to inspect your home. I believe all Headstart programs and other free preschool programs do home visits prior to the start of school, and sometimes at other times as well. They come so that they can meet you and your child in their home, before school starts because sometimes little ones can be scared/nervous about going to school. I would not worry at all about a little peeling paint.

sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 3:10 PM on Oct. 22, 2009