If name your kid out of the ordinary names , why do you get angry when someone mispronounces it or miss spells it ?

I think it is childish and stupid to whine and moan about it when you chose the name . I think it is worse when you call people names because they make a mistake . Is it so hard to correct them and move on ? Why the need for drama ?
I chose unique names for my children , I knew ful well someone would eventualy mutilate the name , It is not a big deal !

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:07 PM on Oct. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• I totally agree! Our boys have what I would call traditional names but they still get misspelled. I don't care, it's just a name.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 3:11 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• The only time I get mad is if they were given the correct spelling and still spell it wrong.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 3:15 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• My husband and I had this argument with our daughter's name. I wanted the original Celtic spelling of her name, Aerynne, while he wanted the Anglicized spelling, Erin. I caved to him, and I'm glad I did. She had enough trouble learning to spell a 4 letter name!!

But, had we gone with the Celtic spelling, it wouldn't have annoyed me that no one could pronounce/spell her name, because I CHOSE the "non-traditional" spelling. (No one can pronounce our last name right, anyway, so we're used to it. LOL)

THINK before you make it final. Are they going to make fun of my child's name (more than any child gets teased), will they be able to spell it, will teachers/others be able to pronounce/spell it? Those aren't hard questions.
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 3:26 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I agree, one of my friends chose a "creative" spelling of her son's name and gets mad when people pronounce it the way it looks! I wish people would remember these kids are going to have to grow up with these names, learn how to spell them and look for employment with them!
    Anonymous

• My son's name is Lukas. I only get upset if someone spells it wrong when they have it right there to know how to spell it, for example, school teachers and officials, dr. office, things like that. If they've never spelled his name before, and don't have it in front of them, of course they'll spell it with a c like most people do. I always make a point to spell his name when I say it, but I don't generally get upset if they get it wrong.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 3:45 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• My sister in law gets upset when people misspell her kids names. Her kids names are barely pronouceable so I think she is a moron for being so upset.
    Anonymous

• I don't get angry, but I've been annoyed, especially when I've said the name over & over. Phonics people! Phonics. Ruger, long "u" because of the e. There aren't 2 g's, so it's not Rug-ger. I never anticipated his name being mispronounced so often.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 4:28 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I don't get mad, but I do get annoyed. Especially since my daughter's name is Alexandria, yet people still insist on Alexandra. Hello, there is a I in there! No big though. If they get it wrong too many times I just tell them to call her Alex.
    crystac

Answer by crystac at 5:14 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I don't get upset and gen. not annoyed either -- ja has a wierd name. I though Ayla would be easy but she gets called Ella and well my name is unique to so I've gotten used to correcting people all my life -- in fact I have a set of folks I've been working with for FOUR years -- and they STILL cant spell or rem. my name right -- and they LOVE me but whatever....
    there are so many better things to get upset about why bother with that one.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 5:20 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Our kids have unusual names (where we live, anyhow- dh is south asian and their names are all common names in India.) It doesn't bother me when people misspell or mispronounce them. It does bother me if people make snide remarks about them. Once when I had my middle child in Urgent Care the nurse working the desk kind of snorted and said "People will name them anything these days." I pretty much let her have it... it didn't help my mood that I had been up all night with a baby who kept coughing so hard she would throw up on me!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 5:43 PM on Oct. 21, 2009