Is this to awkward?

My ex and I split up over 10 years ago. We got together when he was still recovering from drug addiction. When I got pregnant he relapsed and got violent with me, I left him and he had nothing to do with our child.
When our child was small he was killed in an accident. That caused my ex to completely change his life, he's never touched a drug scince and is not at all the person I knew. I rarely see or speak to him.
Now, his wife & I work at the same hospital and have babies the same age. We are slowly becoming friends. Niether of us have many friends and are both very shy, but we have tons of stuff in common. We do playdates and even helped design and decorate eachother's nursery (we are both crafty and our hubby's are not).Both of our husbands think it's great as long as we don't include them.
Is this to awkward? Would you still be friends with her? People who know the past make the rudest comments.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:08 PM on Oct. 21, 2009 in Relationships

• This is a sensitive situation and the only people it effects are you, your husband and her and her husband. If all of you are fine with it then it is what it is. It is nobody else's concern who you choose to have as friends as long as nobody is getting hurt.
    cat1622

Answer by cat1622 at 3:11 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I don't think that it is akward. If you don't have feeling for him anymore and he doesn't either. I probably wouldn't be going on any double dates any time soon. I feel that it is so hard to meet a nice person that you have things in common with. Stay friends.
    Jguevara

Answer by Jguevara at 3:11 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• It's awkward to me, but I'm not in your situation, and with you guys had having a child together and now he has one with this woman it's like they are brother's. You do what works for you.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 3:13 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• a little..but of course thats a very healthy situation...as long as yall are happy. i think its very sweet :) happy 4 u
    SweetiePieAfWf

Answer by SweetiePieAfWf at 3:13 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Do YOU feel awkward? Does SHE? Do the hubbies? if the answer is "No", then who cares what others think? Personally I think you are a wonderful and mature person. The heck with everyone else.
    companygoddess

Answer by companygoddess at 3:17 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I think it's ok. This is a diff situation but i'm sure it happened for a reason.
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 3:17 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Its awkward to people who cannot relate to the situation. But, everything is awkward to SOMEbody, so i would just ignor it. If you feel you can trust her & vice versa, then i would just enjoy the friendship.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 3:55 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• First off - I am so so sorry for your loss. I can't imagine how hard that must have been (and probably still is).

We all need friends in this world. Sometimes we find them in strange places - that doesn't change their importance. If you are both comfortable with the circumstances of your history, then who cares what anyone else says?
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 3:57 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• If it isn't hurting anyone, and you really found a good friend, why not? You usually make the best friends in the most unlikely people and places....
    Anonymous

• Well it sounds like you both are ok with the fact that you are the 'ex' she is the 'current', you both like each other, you have things in common and your husband and the ex are ok with it- then why not be friends?
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 4:41 PM on Oct. 21, 2009