Have you gone through fertility treatments and later gotten pregnant without help?

I am wondering how common this really is. I used fertility drugs to get pregnant, and because of that I feel silly using birth control now. I think my odds of becoming pregnant are around 5% without fertility meds, so I'm not taking much of a risk (my doctor agrees that the risk is very small). Also, I would be overjoyed to become pregnant and experience it in a natural way. My husband and I won't do fertility treatments again (too stressful), but we have discussed maybe doing foster/adopt in the future, so a surprise pregnancy would be pretty exciting and well-received.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:19 PM on Oct. 21, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• So I think it really depends- if you have PCOS or endo or another chronic kind of condition that makes conceiving difficult, the odds may not be that great. But if you have an ovulation problem or some other issue of hormone balance, those things may change with time. If you would welcome a surprise pg, why worry about bc? Just enjoy and perhaps you will be pleasantly surprised!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 3:32 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• It may depend on the nature of the condition requiring the use of fertility meds. I was on clomid for my first pregnancy- I had been on the bcp, and did not start ovulating again after coming off the bcp. After about ten months of not ovulation or having a period, my doctor prescribed provera for me to have a period, and then clomid to ovulate. I did get pg after three cycles but had a m/c at 11 weeks. After that I did start having (very irregular) periods and got pregnant without meds, but had a rocky first tri with lots of bleeding. The doctor told me I was low on progesterone. When we started ttc again, I had a luteal phase defect (only 9 days from O to AF) and needed to supplement my progesterone in order to conceive. After that we figured the odds of an 'oops' was minimal so we decided we would just use the pull n pray method after my diaphragm was contributing to bladder infections. Surprise- baby number three!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 3:30 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Thanks Freela! I'm not getting my hopes up, but it's nice to hear that it really does happen sometimes.
    Anonymous

• I did but it took five years! I tried clomid for six months with no success and stopped with any kind of treatment after that. I found myself pregnant a few years after that and it was a total shock. I use birth contol now because I know it is possible to get pregnant even though the doctor didn't think so! You may end up with a happy surprise but it could take awhile!
    coppersoul

Answer by coppersoul at 3:48 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Thanks coppersoul! Just knowing it could be possible is enough for now. I just decided to ditch the birthcontrol at my annual check up this week.
    Anonymous

• well, my cousin and his wife had problems of some nature and she started taking clomid but then she got pregnant that month so the dr. really doubts the clomid had anything to do with it. take that for what you will. but my MIL was told she could never have kids and then had two! so it does depend on your issue but it does happen.
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 4:00 PM on Oct. 21, 2009