how do other mom's do it with a clean house?

i have 3 kids 5, 3, and almost 1. oldest 2 go half days to a total of 3 schools that i have to drive them to and so i am always running it seems i have tryed to keep to a schedulal but i get so wore out that i thow it out the window when i should be cleaning i have to take care of the baby or something i need HELP i am running around and my house looks like a HUGE MESS! ANY ADVICE? also my husband works all day so there isn't alot of help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:21 PM on Oct. 21, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Clean house? What's that?

Right know I work two jobs so a clean house is a thing of the past. Nor do I worry about it. But for times when I do...let me point you to flylady.net. EXCELLENT solutions.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:24 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• As soon as I drop my 4 yo off at school, I put my 14 month old in his highchair to eat breakfast and get busy. It's great because he's out of the way. I usually start my day in the kitchen (only because I can't stand a mess kitchen). Then I tidy up toys here and there, feed the baby lunch around 11 or 12 then right off to a nap for him. While, he's sleeping I do laundry or whatever needs done, but Ido it fast so I can rest too while he's napping. If I'm not finished by then, I pick my 4 yo up at 2:30 then he's home to entertain the baby while I finish. Once you get into a routine, you'll have no problem, it will be like second nature.
    tabc531

Answer by tabc531 at 3:27 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Give your house one good cleaning then you just have to keep up with it. I have 5 kids and i am home with 2 of them all day 14 months and 3. My 11,7,and 6 are in school. If you stop picking up as soon as it gets dirty that's how you will fall behind. Make a date to do the big cleaning. Make your kids clean up after themselves and it should get easier.
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 3:27 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• They dont sleep!!!! LOL
    I am a mother of 3 mess makers (one being my husband!!!) I work 40 hrs between friday-sunday and by the time I get home monday morning, my house looks as though a tornado hit it!!! I dont have much energy to clean all week long either, since Im a full time mother during the week and a full time employee during the weekends, its makes keeping the house clean, IMPOSSIBLE!!!! I have found a few good habits that help minimize the mess though! First off... take all the toys out of your childrens rooms, if possible! We have our bedrooms upstairs and a toy room in the basement, which makes it harder to bring toys all the way upstairs, which means less mess in their rooms!!! LOL Second, if you do have a toy room, its just that, a toy room, meaning that its probably going to be the messiest room in the entire house! But if you get a toy chest to put all the toys in, its easier than having to organize...
    sxc_mom_of2

Answer by sxc_mom_of2 at 3:46 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I swear I have said this a thousand times this week! LOL I dont like toys in my living room but we have a computer room with some storage...it's where the toys live. It gives the kids a chance to keep alot of toys in their room and to play in there.
    I bought three feather dusters for each child....there ya go, dust away for mommy!
    We only use the kitchen to eat. If you enter the kitchen, you must sit in your chair and play with whatever.....this rule is for my 3 yr old.
    I threw everything out or gave it away if it was not dishwasher safe. No mismatched stuff because its easy to get from dishwasher to cabinet. I have a clear shoe organizer that I hung on pantry door and it isnice and neat.
    I have 3 kids too. Maybe I am a little strict but when it is 3 against 1 you gotta make some boundaries. My bedroom gets neglected a bit, just organize the areas that you use most. GL!
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 3:51 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• continued....
    them all!!!! My kids are required to clean their own rooms... So with the rest of the around the house cleaning I hide money... I tell them that if they want to earn money to buy things or save up for anything then they need to help clean up and while doing so they get to keep any money that they find!!! But they cannot keep the money if they are not cleaning up the things too!!! We used to, (but havent done it in a while) have a cleaning time! While I cooked dinner or did the dishes after dinner, the kids and my husband would get all their things out of, say the living room and put them away! When you have kids, you have to make cleaning a fun thing.... so we would race... see if they could clean up their messes before I got done with dinner!!! If they won then maybe we would get an extra 15 minutes after dinner to play before bath and bed time! I hope these things work for you! Its tough bein a mom! GL
    sxc_mom_of2

Answer by sxc_mom_of2 at 3:53 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I agree with using flylady.net as a resource. I'm also learning to clean as I cook so the kitchen isn't a mess after every meal. When I leave a room a look around and grab anything I can throw away or put away. Your oldest two kids are old enough to pick up their own toys so you can train them to do this now. Make it into a game.
    Um 27 pick up is awesome to me. Grab a plastic bag and pick up 27 things you need to throw away. it really helps more than you think! and EVERYONE can do this.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 3:58 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• this may not be the best solution, but i wait until everyone is asleep and then I start downstairs, i put the dishes in the dishwasher, clean countertops, stovetop and kitchen table, take garbage bag out of can and put in mudroom for dh to take out on his way out the house in the am. spritz the kitchen floor with cleaner and then go to the living room, dust, put baby's toys away, i have an ottoman w/storage because i hate toy bins, makes my home look like toys r us, lol sprinkle with rug stuff and baking soda, i mix it together, then i go back to the kitchen mop the floor up, then back to the living room and vacuum. Then upstairs vacuum the hall(no one hears the noise) clean the bathroom, the i jump in the tub for a much needed shower. I do bedrooms in the am. It sounds like alot, but its not, I try to spend 15min per room. I do a really thorough cleaning on sunday nights. just try to take even 5m ar oom can make a diff.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:35 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• i have a daily list...weekyl list...monthly list. sure it sucks that i dont get any days off....on the weekends im at least doing the basics every day (vacuum, sweep etc) if you clean at least a hour every day, it wont be that bad just cluttered from the kids and your kids are old enough to help out. my daughter is almost 3, she picks up her own toys and puts them back in the toy bin , puts her books back in her book bin, helps use the feather duster on stuff. if she makes a mess, she gets a towel and cleans it with my help. no such thing as a day off for housewives if you want a clean house. sometimes on the weekends the hubby is nice enough to do the kitchen for me so i don thave to. but in the end.......housewives with clean houses are estimated to work 80 hr a week...serioiusly...im not making that up. so its like 2 fultime jobs. but i find that i love my house nwo that its really clean, im proud of it and i sleep better
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 5:52 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I have only ever cleaned one day a week since forever. other than dishes and laundry that is a daily thing for us. your kids have hands...they can pick up after themselves ya know? don't stress out over an unkempt house, make your kids clean up everyday before they go to bed consistently and don't back down from that ever. make them do it daily. or just get used to having a messy place and a messy house to visit when your kids are all married and moved out.
    nobody ever said moms had to pick up after everyone, make them do it. a 5 yr. old can scrub a toilet pretty well too. turn off that tv, you'll be amazed at how much time you really have.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:17 AM on Oct. 22, 2009