How much do your sick kids get to do?

Is yours a stay in bed until you're better house or do they get to go where they want while they're home? I always thought keeping sick kids in bed was only for tv shows until I saw people mention it here. (FWIW if mine is at the worst part of any illness he puts himself to bed, but through the sniffle and cough stages he's up and around)

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 3:41 PM on Oct. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• Mine usually cuddle up on the couch and read or sleep. I can always tell how sick they really are by what they want to do: just laying there= really quite ill, reading=feeling better, mom, can I watch a movie=almost back to school.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 4:48 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I was one of the kids who was up on the computer and watching TV when I was sick. My mom would let me "camp out" in front of the television, she'd put my sleeping bag on the couch and I'd stay there most of the day. Of course, when I faked sick just to stay out of school, I still got to do all that. I was the master of faking it...or else my parents just didn't want to deal with a fight that early in the morning, ehehehe. I paid dearly for it by having to make up time after school.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 3:45 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I just go by how they feel. If they have the energy to play that's fine but I don't let them run around outside, and I don't take them to public places because I don't want them spreading more of their germs around.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 3:45 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• When my kids are sick they either stay in their beds or on the couch in front of the TV. Usually in front of the TV. ...and we are not big TV watches but when they are sick i want their bodies to rest. They are little one's though so there's no way i can get them to stay still and rest all day in bed or otherwise. ...so i turn on the TV. BECAUSE we don't watch much TV they will sit and watch it all day long while they are sick.
    Their bodies rest. And that's what's most important to me while they are sick.

oh. ...and their TV is highly censored.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:46 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• If they're sick enough they have to stay home, they're sick enough to spend the entire day resting. Whether its in bed or camped out on the couch, I don't let my kids get up and mess around. It's not a free day to goof off, they're home for a reason and need to recooperate.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 3:46 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• If they are sick enough to miss school or church they are sick enough to stay in bed. Resting is very important during illness. My kids realized early on that sick day meant sleep and rest not play time.
    Anonymous

• Mine's only two but even when sick, I don't know it. She's bouncing off the walls right now with a sinus infection! When I was younger if I stayed home, I didn't get to go play or anything. I had to stay inside and rest. I wasn't configned to bed or anything, though. I think it'll be the same with my daughter.
    Anonymous

• My children and I have immune deficiencies. If we stayed in bed every time we were what most people would consider sick we would be in bed 3/4 of our lives. We do as much as we can. We would do homeschool stuff in hospital waiting rooms and while they were getting IV therapy.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:39 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Stay home and rest rest rest. Once they feel a little better I let them get up for a bit, and maybe even go out for a ride (I think fresh air is important), but I can tell how quickly they recover when resting than when they aren't.

I think it's very important to nurture and "spoil" a sick person- child or adult- until they get better. In all my experience people have better health when their needs are being met and they don't have to stress about them.
    Anonymous

• My son **rarely** gets sick, but fresh air really does great things for your sinuses (the only problem we've really had in this house, once again its been a rarity)

Anonymous