18 month old not walking

My nephew is 18 months old now and he is still not walking. He didn't crawl until he was a year old, sit up until he was 9 or 10 months, etc. He babbles a little, but I don't think he is saying words. I know he has therapy sessions in his home.

I NEVER bring it up because they never do, either. I have a daughter that is younger than him and she is meeting her milestones at the average times. It is almost uncomfortable - I never bring up what she is doing, either.

He was born a few weeks premature and he was only 5 pounds at birth, so I know this can play a role in delays. I am just worried about my nephew. Should I try to talk to my brother about it? I want to know I am here for him.

Also, what could be wrong? Do children outgrow this sort of stuff, or will he be mentally/physically disabled? His wife's family have a lot of mental retardation.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:49 PM on Oct. 21, 2009 in Kids' Health

• My 2nd son was not walking till he was almost 2- he had developmental delays (speech, physical, occupational). At 18mo his pediatrician was concerned and refered him to the Birth to 3 Program. They evaluated him and found he was indeed delayed and then they started therapy with him. He went on to have early childhood thru the school district from age 3-5 and started kindergarten at age 6. When he started kindergarten his teacher had no idea that he had ever had any delays - as all the therapies and all his hard work paid off. He is 11 now and looking at him you would never guess that he had a speech disorder, and developmental delays- he is active, talkative and like any other 11yr old.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 4:15 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Chances are the child will not outgrow his delays. They can minimize, but there's a good chance that this child will always need help.

If the child has therapy at home then i don't think you should be worried. And 18 months is still in the average age to START walking, believe it or not. All children develop differently and it depends on MANY factors including ethnicity, culture, health etc etc.

I don't think it would hurt to let your brother know that you care about his child and are there for him/them, if he/they need you. It's good to have support.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:53 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• My Bella didnt walk till late. She didnt talk much either she just stayed to herself and was a very un needy child. She now is 3 and so smart! she speaks very well and has no problems.
    as long as he is getting therapy his parents are doing the right thing. he will catch up. I am sure he will be a smart boy!
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 4:02 PM on Oct. 21, 2009