Postpartum Depression

why is it so hard for me to find help for my postpartum depression? the only help i can find would consist of me checking into a psych ward meaning i would not be able to see my baby AT ALL and especially won't be able to continue breastfeeding him. Does this make sense? I want help, I want to be able to care for my child, but in order to get help I have to be taken away from him? why can't people see that post partum depression is REAL and that it needs to be taken seriously?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:49 PM on Oct. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Why do they want to admit you? Sometimes if your symptoms are very bad they want to admit you for your own safety. I'm sure if you were admitted you would be aloud to see your baby. I had PPD and my midwife put me on zoloft which help me SO MUCH. I am TOTALLY better now and my daughter is 10 months old. I would love to talk to you more about it if you want. Your welcome to email me kaitlyn.altman@gmail.com if you'd like. PPD is very real and very serious.
    Kaitlyn0816

Answer by Kaitlyn0816 at 3:56 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Kaitlyn: they want to admit me because i am having thoughts about hurting my baby. i would never hurt him but i have thought about it several times. i need to continue being with my baby because i am exclusively breastfeeding. I do not want to take any medication for my PPD, i only want counselling and my insurance wont cover it unless i'm admitted into a hospital
    Anonymous

• I have a 2 month old and I'm on Zoloft now for PPD..it works great..i was fine with my other two so this was all new to me...i went to his pedatrician and she told me to make an appt with my dr..i did and they wrote me a script
    WAREIZLILYBUGZ

Answer by WAREIZLILYBUGZ at 4:07 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• yeah... I had some thoughts of hurting my baby too. I would have NEVER done it but the thought did pop into my head. I had lots of thoughts about hurting myself too. My midwife was aware of that. She just made sure that I always was going to have someone with me until I started to feel better. I was totally set on exclusively breastfeeding too...so I was worried about the antidepressants being in my milk. I dont' know if that's why you don't want to take them... but Zoloft is the #1 prescribed antidepressant for nursing moms because they have done studies on it and it never appeared in the mom's milk. I think there was a tiny trace of it 7 hours after you took a pill. You can research it, I did, and read all about it. I also did counsiling through a family friend that did it for free for 6 months, that did help my tremendously too. I can give you some tips from what I learned from her if you want.
    Kaitlyn0816

Answer by Kaitlyn0816 at 4:11 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I was in your position only a few months ago so I know exactly how you're feeling right now. But you have to keep telling yourself it WILL go away. it feels like you're never going to get better but you do. You do need to get help though, and I feel getting on a low dose of zoloft helped me within a week. Do you have family close to you who can help you?
    Kaitlyn0816

Answer by Kaitlyn0816 at 4:13 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• You need to take meds.You can take them and breastfeed. Antidepressants are not contraindicated for breastfeeding. Take the meds before you have to be admitted or hurt your baby.

You can email me. I will talk to you on the phone.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:21 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I told my dr I was bfing and he gave me the zoloft bc of it..he did research for it right in front of me so i would be sure
    WAREIZLILYBUGZ

Answer by WAREIZLILYBUGZ at 7:49 PM on Oct. 21, 2009