Did your children suck their fingers or thumb?

How did you get them to stop? My 6 year old sucks her middle two fingers when she is tired or when she is watching TV. The dentist has told us that we need to stop her but nothing has worked so far. Any advice would be helpful!

Frogbaby83

Asked by Frogbaby83 at 4:05 PM on Oct. 21, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• All 5 of my kids have sucked on their thumbs/fingers. Trust me, they DO stop on their own, unless my adult sons are hiding something from me....... Mine all stopped around the age of 7 - 9 years. Two of our children required braces for problems OTHER than what thumb sucking would have caused; the rest are fine.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 11:54 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• this was drastic but my husband when our son was 4 told him if he caught him with his fingers in his mouth he would get a spanken. It worked he wanted his thumb but he wanted the spanken less.
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 4:06 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• My daughter is a tumb sucker and it is so wired into her nothing can stop her, she only does it when she is cuddling with her comfort item, and I used to have a comfort item and I know how good it feels. And I have tried to stop her with that thub nail polish and grounding and punishment and it doesn't work. So I tell her not to do it so much in front of me, and tell all new parents DO NOT LET YOUR BABY SICK ITS THUMB OR YOUR BE SORRY BELIEVE ME!!! I thought it would was an old wives tale that they suck their thumbs and don't stop but its true!!!!
    Anonymous

• My son is 3 1/2 and sucks his thumb. We put bandaids on his thumbs to help remind him. He knows he'll be in trouble if he takes the bandaids off and he doesn't suck his thumbs while they're on. It really is just a bad habit because he doesn't whine or complain with the bandaids on.
    _Momof3_

Answer by _Momof3_ at 4:45 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• http://cgi.ebay.com/Full-finger-Thumb-Glove-STOP-THUMBSUCKING-thumb-sucking_W0QQitemZ260401538121QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ca1242449
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 5:32 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• My son sucked on his fingers as a newborn, but once he was about four months old, he quit, and he's never continued. I'm no help. Sorry!
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 6:03 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I sucked on my thumb until I was in 6th grade, it wasn't a problem. Unless your child is pushing on his teeth with his fingers or thumb, it will NOT be a problem. He will stop when he is ready. You can give him a code word, but I would NOT embarrass him about it. Also, if you don't draw attention to the finger sucking, he will stop on his own.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:06 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• mine did that .i made her wearsocks on her hands when she slept..ittook awhile but eventually i broke her of it
    LadyMoonWhisper

Answer by LadyMoonWhisper at 4:08 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Neither of mine do...however I sucked on my thumb until I was about 9 or 10. NOTHING my parents did was stopping me. One time when I was about 6 I burned my entire left hand (sucked my left thumb) and I remember being so upset that I couldn't suck my thumb because I had to have cream on it. But I would wipe the cream off of the top half of my thumb and suck that. I'm telling you...there was no stopping me until I was ready to stop.
    lissa27504

Answer by lissa27504 at 9:06 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• My youngest sucked his 4 fingers on his left hand, upside down. He just grew out of it.
    BrandonsMom1000

Answer by BrandonsMom1000 at 10:08 AM on Oct. 22, 2009