Will your kids' resumes go to the bottom of the pile?

With the way the economy is right now, my boss usually has 50+ resumes come in a week, even if there's no ad out saying the company is hiring. Any name she can't pronounce easily at the first glance automatically goes to the bottom of the stack. She doesn't even read it. The only way she'll ever look at it again is if every single normal name doesn't pan out. She does this because she hates stumbling through what should be a very routine voice mail message asking someone to schedule an interview. The majority of them go back to HR never to be seen again because she finds someone in the normal names within the first few resumes.

If you used a creative name or spelling, will your kid end up at the back of the stack, never to be heard from again?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:05 PM on Oct. 21, 2009 in Just for Fun

• This was a good portion of the book "Freakenomics".. and I agree 100000%... set your children up to succeed.
    StarMommy77

Answer by StarMommy77 at 5:49 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• The boss just sounds lazy to me!
    auntj

Answer by auntj at 4:08 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I don't understand the trend for unusual names. Bobby is still Bobby if spelled Bauwbee. I just don't get it. Find an unusual name, don't butcher normal ones.
    Anonymous

• So true. So many ways to not even consider you. Believe it or not I have people calling me for help.

Help707

Answer by Help707 at 4:11 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Your boss sounds like a lazy racist because usually the only names someone can't pronounce are those that aren't of his/her own little circle and culture.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 4:13 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• And what is "normal". My daughters name is Arabic and the names for her siblings to be are Swahili. Just because they aren't American they won't be "normal'. Thats so idiotic.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 4:14 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Your boss sounds like a lazy racist

Who exactly is she racist against, considering she's black and her kids are mixed?
    Anonymous

• Your boss sounds like an idiot. When I was a hiring manager and when I was in HR, I based my decisions mostly on the cover letters.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:14 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• You can be black and be racist against other cultures. Did you think that only white people could be racist? Mexican, Middle Eastern, Ghanian, Indian....you name it.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 4:18 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Whether she's lazy or a racist, she's still the boss. What reason does she have to inconvenience herself if she doesn't have to?
    Anonymous