Godparents. ISSUES.

So, my best friend, who's like the sister I've never had is the godmother to my son. We agreed that she'd be the godmother to this baby as well, once he/she is born.

The first time around, my DH's mother went on a complete mental breakdown accusing me of replacing her role as grandmother, and how "We can take care of the baby too when you two die!!!"

I thought we had resolved this... but now, my DH said "Well, I'd like my parents to be more too."
...MORE WHAT? More grandparents? What the eff does that even mean?? He wouldn't elaborate what he was talking about just said "We've asked so much out of Stephanie (godmother/best friend) already..."
Excuse me, I didn't even force her. I asked, she was thrilled. End of story. She's not one to say yes to make me happy, or anyone for that matter.

DH claims to know what godparents mean, but I don't think he fully understands. How did you explain the role to people?

K_Sawyer

Asked by K_Sawyer at 4:13 PM on Oct. 21, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Godparents are not the same as guardians. My kids all have my sister as the godmother and the younger two have an uncle each that is their godfather.
    If my dh and I die, the kids will go to dh's parents. They are the most capable of taking care of the boys.
    Godparents are religious guiders, they are to hold you accountable for your child's religious upbringing. If you start slacking in your religion the GP is supposed to step in and remind you of your commitment to your religion.
    You still need to think about who your child's guardian would be is you both die. If you want it to be your friend, that is fine, but you need to put it in a will, so that your wishes are known.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 4:51 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• To me Godparents are a religious thing. I chose my best friend and Godmother and brother and Godfather. They were present when she was baptised and agree to help raise her as a Christian and be role models for our faith. The people that raise her if I die are in my will as guardians. They have nothing to due with Godparents IMO.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:16 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Godparents are so 1970's. get with the times, woman!
    Anonymous

• That's how I explained it to my DH. I don't know, he said he understood, so I'll just leave it at that. :]
    Thank you for your advices, ladies.

And anon... I am with the times, thanks, Woman. This is how I was raised, and that's how I want to raise my children. If you think I should be more futuristic... you can butt out. It's not your children but MINE.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 4:58 PM on Oct. 21, 2009