Has anyone every had their newborn taken away from them at the hospital?

I Mean out of your custody and into DHS. My baby tested positve for opitades, when she was born, But i was on bedrest at the hospital and the doctors were giving me oxycodone for pain. I never asked for it, they gave it to me when i was going through early labor and then when I actually went into labor it was still in our system (I was still on bedrest at the hospital) DHS came in the day after I had her and said they were filing for custody of my daughter because i had opiates in my system. WHICH THE DOCTORS GAVE ME. I am so confused.. they ant me to go to a program for 90 days now, where i can have her, but i dont believe they should have taken her in the first place. i am not a drug addict. I was taking the medication the nurses were giving to me when they came in my room. I dont know what to do, should I sue? I am going to the program anyway so I can have my little girl! she is 4 days old and needs her mommy.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:31 PM on Oct. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• cont.. I am taking it to court, but they did not give me a court date until december. I am so lost right now, I dont know what to do. I have all the proof of the medication, where they came from how much, which doctor etc..
    Theywere going to let my little girl come home with me from the hospital, but 5 mins before my doctor said "I think she may have been doctor shopping for medication" which i wasnt! I was on bedrest for F**K sake how would i be doing that? Now They want me to get into a 90 day program where i can have her there with me before any of this can clear up. I am seriously heartbroken. I am so depressed i dont know what to do. I have to leave my fiance and the father of my child to be able to be with her at some program i dont even need to be at! And he is losing his first born child for 3 months! Its so sad, we have EVERYTHING for the baby, brand new apartment all brandnew baby things.. everything except for her
    Anonymous

• You need to contact a lawyer.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:32 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• cont.. We are so heartbroken, this is our first child and we dont even have her, i have never been so depressed in my life
    Anonymous

• No, I haven't, and if I did, I'd bring that doctor down, and sue his pants off if at all possible.
    Anonymous

• I'm so sorry OP. That's just cruel of them, they have taken away your experience as a new mom.
    Anonymous

• Contact a lawyer!!

I would contact the local media as well, that might start a fire under CPS' butts to get you an earlier court date.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 4:56 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Definatly contact local media...i know it would suck to have it out there for all to see but it would "light a fire und cps" as long as you know you didn't do anything wrong then it would help a lot....Lawyer lawyer lawyer too
    Hulkgrrl

Answer by Hulkgrrl at 5:14 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• sue them...you missing out on your daughters first moments thats something they cant replace
    stephanielashay

Answer by stephanielashay at 5:29 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I work in a hospital on mother baby, peds and nicu and there are time when a baby is taken from their parents.
    HOWEVER... if a person is known to have certain drugs in their system like you described we wouldn't take the baby away if that were the only drug... many women are given certain pain meds during pregnancy.
    It is strange they tested for it though, that's not routine where I work anyway. We sometimes look if the labor process went very fast, faster than it should, which can sometimes mean drug use or if the baby has symptoms of drug withdrawl.
    The say it works (at least the best I understand it) is that if there is reason to think the child may be unsafe then the social worker calls child protection who then has to decide if there is enough to take the child away. Then the child is put into fostercare but there is a trial a day or two later where they bring the evidence to a judge. Then they might get their baby
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 6:37 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• cont.
    back or they might not. I don't know where you are in the process... but I would think you should get her back if you go to court. I think if you are telling us everything that they don't have anything against you.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 6:39 PM on Oct. 21, 2009