Pediphile or love?

I just watched a show about teen brides. Many of these teens (12-15) were involved with men over 20. One girl, who admitted to being sexually active at the age of 12 with her 20 yr old boyfriend, got pg. at 13, then married at 14. The man was sent to prison and now has to register as a sexual offender. One girl was 15, and the man 27.

At what age difference, and age of the the younger one (usually a girl), does it become a sexual offense?

I've heard so many on here say teens dating older people is not a sexual offense, & they don't consider someone that has sex with a minor (under 16, most states) as a sexual offender. But at what age is it do you consider it illegal?

IMO, if someone is over 18 and dating someone under 16, they are a sexual offender. I agree with the laws.

Before you offer your opinion, what age are you now? AND what age did get pg. and/or married? How old was he at the time?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:34 PM on Oct. 21, 2009 in Relationships

• I am 29. I got pregnant at 28 my husband was 29 and we were already married. I lost my virginity at 15 to a 19 year old.

I agree with you. The laws are there for a reason. I think it stinks for a couple where one is 17 and the other is 18, but a line has to be drawn somewhere. A friend of mine had a boyfriend who was 21 when she was 13. It's sick and it is child abuse if you ask me.
    Anonymous

• I am 32 now. I was 18 when I lost my virginity, he was 20. We got married 2 1/2 years later.
    I think anyone having sex with a person under the age of 16 who is over the age is 18 is a perv. They can avoid that label by waiting until their partner is of legal age (16) or be labeled a sex offender.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 4:40 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• The girls being that young, probably think they are in love, and the men, I personally think only prey after young, vulnerable girls because they haven't had much experience, and they can take advantage of that. There are men out there who get off on innocence, as sick as it is.

Anonymous

• Truthfully it depends on what state these people are in. Seems every state has different ages of concent.
    Me personally if you are over 18 and you have sex with someone under 18 you are wrong.

Answer by louise2 at 4:42 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• My first son father was 27 and i was 17 he def had no business being with me .He wanted me bcuz i was young and unused. I am 29 now and i wouldnt date anyone less then 4 years younger. When i was younger i dated a few years older then me. Men want young girls bcuz they dont know how to live. the man can try to make the female how he wants her. It's sad and If i could go back i would have NOT let this pervert anywhere next to me.
    Anonymous

• I do think that 27 and 15 is wrong. However, I don't think that 18 and 15 is really that big of a deal. I was 18 when I got pregnant and the guy was 21, but we'd been involved for years, beginning when we were both in high school. So if I'd gotten pregnant when we were first dating, would that be illegal..? Since he was 18 and I was 15? We weren't sleeping together then, and I think the laws require a larger age gap for charges to be filed.. but I don't really know.
    I don't actually know state laws where I live though, that's just my opinion. I do think that 19 and 15 isn't really a good thing, but is there really that much of a difference between and 18 year old and a 19 year old?

It's hard for me to draw decisions, but if there is a 5 year age gap, I don't have any issue with them being considered a sexual offender.

As I said, I got pregnant at 18 by a 21 year old and now I'm 22, married to someone else.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 4:45 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I'm 33 and was well over 18 the first time I had sex so the situations on that show didn't apply to me. But I did have friends who did what those girls did. I've even seen that show before. I was disgusted by those men. I think they are sex offenders and should be treated as such. IMO, anyone who is 18 and over and has sex with anyone younger are perverts and deserve to be punished..
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 4:47 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Ok, so I want to get this straight, some of you women think that if a couple are both seniors in high school and has been sleeping together for 6 months, if the boy turns 18 a month before the girl he should face charges? How about a 16 and 17 year old, and one turns 18? He/ she becomes a perv because he had a birthday?
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 4:51 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I am now 22 got married at 18 pregnant at 20 did the deed with my now DD at 17, he was 21, according to the law, that was an offense...I agree with the law mostly but there are always exceptions, I don't think our situations should have been considered an offence, it was a month before my 18 b-day, toriandgrace: I don't htink the situation you described is an offence either
    Anonymous

• I am 30, I was 21 when I got pregnant with my oldest, and he was 19 about to turn 20. How do I feel about this...well, here's my thing: when I consider dating someone younger than me, I often find myself thinking "he was _______ when I was having my first child". For example, a friend of mine recently tried to set me up with a guy who is 19, and all I could think was that he was in 5th grade when I was having my oldest son. That thought grosses me out to where I can't even consider dating him now. So, I tend to think bad things when I think of someone over the age of 18 dating someone under...say, age 15. And even a 15 yr old, I would think there was something wrong with someone, say, 25 or older dating them, b/c I just don't see what they could have in common. They are just in very different places, and I don't see it as a good thing.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 5:15 PM on Oct. 21, 2009