Please help... I dont get it!

my fiance and i have been together for a little over a year and my son was 2weeks when we met and is now 13 mo. my son SCREAMS and cries when my fiance even walks in the room or tries to hold him. i feel so bad, my fiance tries so hard. he tries to play with his toys with him all the while withstanding my sons non stop screaming, he tries to tuck him into bed, tries to make silly faces, baby talk, cuddle, anything to try to bond with him and NOTHING works. the weird thing is, in public my son is totally fine. he lets my fiance touch him, feed him, hold him. i dont get it? my fiance is getting very discouragede as am i. any ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:40 PM on Oct. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• you know, my husband watched our son all day mondays, they had to learn to bond. even still my son will be 2 in 2 weeks and when he was younger, he'd scream and cry for his dad if I was around - try leaving them alone or walking away so they can bond, I think he will naturally preffer you because he is with you more... they have to almost be forced to learn how to deal with each other..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 9:45 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Babies can do this with fathers. He will outgrow it. I hope it doesn't break your fiance's heart.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:42 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Maybe he wants your attention completely at home. when your out hes prob really distracted. Does he look "different'? Like facial hair or of another race? Some kids just freak out around ppl that they are not used to seeing. Not him but his appearance
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 4:42 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• And I agree with Gail. DD freaks out when her dad tries to change her or pick her up but when we are out shes fine. Its prob just a phase
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 4:43 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• my fiance does have a very deep voice and is darker skinned than i am. and just to make it liitle more clear my fiance is not my sons father but has been around since he was 2 weeks old. how long do you think this will last? hes already 13 mo. and its not getting any better and both of u are losing hope that they will ever have a good relationship which really makes me sad because he such an awesome father to his 8 year old son.
    maranda1389

Answer by maranda1389 at 4:57 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• my son went through a stage like this....his DD has been around the whole time...He'll get over it just don't give up
    Anonymous

• He just needs to keep trying without forcing it. Little ones will do this, they only want mom when they know they can have all of mom's attention. He need's to not take it personal...I know that's hard, but it isn't against your BF it is just he wants mom and knows mom is there.

They do outgrow it, it is normal, but sometimes it can take until they are 2 years old for them to "move" on and out of the phase.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 5:07 PM on Oct. 21, 2009