how do i get my 5month old to sleep all night when im still breast feeding

momma051209

Asked by momma051209 at 4:45 PM on Oct. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If a child is waking up in the middle of the night to nurse because they are hungry, you will not be able to get them to sleep thru the night. They need to eat and unfortunately this may not go along with your schedule...been there, it sucks
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 4:48 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• It's not breastfeeding, it's development. When a baby is developmentally ready to sleep through the night they will. If you sleep with your baby close enough that you can smell each other your pheromones will help your sleep cycles coordinate so you aren't in deep sleep when the baby wakes to eat. That way night nursing is less of a problem. Some moms don't even remember if or how many times they nurse at night.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:48 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Five months seems a little young - though not neccessarily, my daughter slepts through the night (8 hours) at 5 weeks! I will tell you what I did with 2 of my kids once I knew they could sleep through the night and it wasn't hunger. Because I breastfed they expected to eat when I got up to hold them. Even if they weren't hungry (at this point they had been sleeping through the night for quite some time and had just started getting up from teething or maybe recent illness). My husband would get up with them until they fell back to sleep. After 2 nights of not getting mommy they started sleeping through the night again.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 5:07 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• My son was 12 months old before he slept all night. They are all different. Like Gailll said, it's developmental
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 6:03 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• When they are ready for it they will start sleeping through the night regardless of what you feed them. Both my EBF babies started sleeping through the night at 3-4 weeks old, at 3 months old both were sleeping 10-12 hours a night, i didn't do anything to get them to do it. They were ready for it and started doing it and i was not expecting either one of them to do it so early. Its normal for a 5 month old to wake up hungry, they are not rule and kids like mine the exception!
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 10:07 AM on Oct. 22, 2009