I need advice on this. My toddler clings to me if I do anything.

I can't do anything without my toddler clinging to my legs and whining. He constantly throws a fit if I am occupied with anything. The only thing I can do without him doing this is lay down and do nothing. If I'm reading, he does it. If I try to exercise, cook, clean, or do anything that has my attention, he does it. He gets attention. He's not overly spoiled with it, or neglected of it or anything. Is this a phase, or is there something I can do? I'm by myself with him most of the day while my DH is at work, and I have things I need to do. He's 14 months, by the way.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:17 PM on Oct. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's a phase and he needs to learn that he can intertain himself...if you give in, he is getting what he wants and it only re-inforces that if he throws a fit, he will get your attention...When he does this, give him a time out...explain that when he calms down, mommy will play with him again.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 5:20 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• my son is 21 months and he does the same usually i will stop what im doing and get him occupied in another activity then when he doesnt notice go back to my work
    stephanielashay

Answer by stephanielashay at 5:21 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• My 16 mo does this. I usually have to fold laundry and do the dishes with a permanent attachment to my legs. I do what I have to. She usually throws a fit when I take something away that she shouldn't have.
    coala

Answer by coala at 6:15 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Give him attention when you can. If you can't (such as when you're cooking or using the bathroom, for example), try to keep him close. Put him in the highchair with some crayons and paper and chat with him while you're cooking at the stove. Get him his own potty chair and let him sit with you while you're using the bathroom or taking a shower. If you're vacuuming, give him a duster and let him dust the furniture. He's a toddler, but still very much a baby.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 7:46 PM on Oct. 21, 2009