Jazz up brown rice?

I don't really want just plain brown rice, what can I add to it to give it some flavor? Low-sodium ideas would be great, tryin' to keep that blood pressure down!

Wheepingchree

Asked by Wheepingchree at 5:45 PM on Oct. 21, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I love fresh brown rice with a bit of butter and low sodium soy sauce. Also very good with curry. If you have the ingredients on hand, sofrito is yummy:
    4 onions, quartered
    4 heads of garlic
    4 Italian light green peppers; seeded and stemmed
    1 sm jar green olives( no pits)
    1 sm. can red sweet peppers
    1 bunch cilantro
    1 bunch parsley
    1 sm. can sweet green peppers
    salt and pepper to taste
    1 pkg sazon( puerto Rican spice Blend- can find in Latin markets)
    Blend all ingredients with enough water to make a thin paste. Store in jars in refrigerator or freezer. Add by tablespoons to dishes after cooking.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:39 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Is salad dressing high in sodium? I like to make brown rice, or white, stir fry veggies, and lightly coat with Kraft Asian Toasted Sesame dressing. You should check it out....its so yummy. You can make something similar to the dressing that is homemade I guess. The dressing is virtually, garlic, vinegar, ginger, and soy sauce. Only just a touch of soy sauce maybe.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 9:39 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I cook it in chicken broth not water and flavor it with a few dashes of balsamic vinegar
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 10:35 PM on Oct. 22, 2009