attention deprived

ok so my 17 mo old entertains and plays by himself wonderfully...except when i show him attention ie chasing each other around (his fave) playing with him with his toys, tickling, dancing, ect. afterwards he cries and cries....such as now, we have been running around the house for an hour and a half and frankly im tired....but when i sit he stands with his arms folded crying untill i get up again...how do i get him to go back playing with his toys without crying and screaming?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:49 PM on Oct. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• There were also times when my son would really get on a roll with the crying/screaming, and not give up in 5 or 10 minutes, but would work himself into a total frenzy. When he did that and wasn't reasonably consolable (as in, he was still mad at me and would reject anything but exactly what he wanted), I would tell him he could either play with his toys or sit in his crib. He'd get more mad (scream louder), and I would put him in the crib, and I tell ya, it would not even take him 2 minutes before he was ready to calm down and play with his toys himself. (I would ask him if he was ready to come out and play with his toys, if he screamed at me, he'd stay in, if he quieted down, he'd come out.) Just remember, this too shall pass. :)
    ratviolin

Answer by ratviolin at 6:04 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I just sit her in the playpen and let her cry, with another for me on the way its to hard, shes not deprived but needs to know i can not be up her butt
    Trinity0820

Answer by Trinity0820 at 5:57 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I had this same problem with my son! It was a phase that he has now outgrown (almost 2 now). Unfortunately I don't have a no-cry solution. If he'd gotten plenty of attention and playtime with me already, I would tell him something along the lines of "mommy's tired" or "mommy's going to sit down now". He would scream, cry, and refuse to play with his toys, but if I waited long enough (sometimes as long as 10 super-slow minutes), he would get bored with his crying routine, quit crying in an instant and go play with his toys like nothing was ever wrong. When they cry and cry like this after they've gotten something they like, this is just their way of expressing that they want more and are mad at you for not catering to their every whim. It's part of growing up to learn that people don't exist simply to cater to you. ;-) Also telling him, "You can't ALWAYS have what you want" always seemed to help.
    ratviolin

Answer by ratviolin at 6:00 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• We reserve our play time like that until after dinner and before bath. When she starts to get upset that we aren't playing anymore then we say bath time and she runs for the tub. It is now part of our nighttime routine.
    coala

Answer by coala at 6:24 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• i totally disagre w. the putting the in the playpen thats just mean. letting them cry. mean. how about still having that time where you run around and play then go from that to playiing with something a little less involved or energy stealing lol like coloring or playing w.blocks or something. that will get him to be more calm and less likely to flip out when you want to do something on your own. and then be sure to explain over and over what you are doing so he understands and doesnt think your just ignoring him :)
    OliviasMommy614

Answer by OliviasMommy614 at 8:25 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Tell the child "all done" and redirect them. If the child keeps asking for attention, keep saying "all done" and redirecting them. I work with 12 different kids around that age, and that works best for all of them :)
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 8:53 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• my son does this. He will be 2 in 2 weeks however he rarely plays by himself and we play all day and night long, if I try to lay down or sit down he freaks out and screams and crys..mommy get up, play cars with max, mommy please...its heartbreaking...ugh... Most of the time I have all the time in the world for him to play with him, but... I know soon I have to start letting him cry this out too because I truly can not have a conversation or tell him mommy tired and redirect with out an all out battle and I don't want this later..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 9:43 PM on Oct. 21, 2009