blood test too soon?

I had a pregnancy blood test done yesterday and today I found out it was negative. but it was less than a week ago that I ovulated! I don't know what day b/c my cycles are off, but maybe somewhere around the 13-15 and the test was the 20th. that's not enough time, is it? I'm pretty sure they're only accurate after implantation occurs...?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:51 PM on Oct. 21, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• It would probably be inconclusive.
    I would wait about a week or two, since implantation usually can occur 6-14 days before a missed period. Something like that...
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 5:53 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I think I read on the PG tests that it takes 3 days for your hormone levels to reach 25 (which is the level for an early detection test). So a blood test, I think, would be able to detect any at all before that. However, it does seem very early to me. Generally u O mid cycle (ie two weeks after a period, and 2 weeks before the next) so I would wait the two weeks after you O'd and then test the beginning of that next week to be sure.
    elk571

Answer by elk571 at 6:02 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Wait until 2 weeks after ovulation for a reliable result.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 6:44 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• thanks! I didn't want to do a blood test but the drs were wanting to do something medical unrelated to ttc (have no problems there thankfully!) that would harm the baby if I were pregnant. They're trying to push me into it but I don't know if its a hunch or what, but I just really feel like I need to wait another week, week and a half before I can feel confident. You all are the first ladies to really help me on this board so thank you so much!
    Anonymous