How much should my 14 month old weigh?

She was born 8lbs 11.6 oz, and 21 inches long.. she is now 25lbs.. and was 29 3/4 inches long.. she walks and runs, and is healthy. but with obesity on both sides of her family, i am worried about it.. Is it to much???

Trinity0820

Asked by Trinity0820 at 5:52 PM on Oct. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I wouldn't worry. My son is 14 months and is 31 pounds and 31 inches tall. He has a big daddy. In my thoughts that is too young to know how they will be once they hit childhood.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 5:59 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• If you search for height/weight percentile calculators on the web, you can get the info you need. With the info provided, looks like she's in the 93% for weight and 65% for height. Ideally you'd like them to be close. Keep her active and focus on feeding her healthy foods. Lots of fruits, veggies, lean meats, etc. Try to give healthy snacks. When you go for her next checkup, ask the doctor his/her opinion. My bet is as she gets older, she'll start to slim down. My son did at right about the same age. He was roughtly in the same percentiles as your daughter and slimmed down alot between 15 and 18 months (actually went down in weight between the checkups while still getting taller).`
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 6:05 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• at 14 mos my kids were both 29 pounds
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:20 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• It shouldn't be an issue at this age. Once they are walking and more active then they don't gain much for several months and mainly gain in height. My 16 mo old is close to 17n 1/2 pounds and is about 28 inches tall. I hope that she is closer in her percentiles now that we started the pediasure but she didn't gain much between 9 mos and 15 mos and now we have a diagnosis of rickets to go with our being petite. Just be patient and feed her healthy stuff.
    coala

Answer by coala at 6:21 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Shoot...my kids weighed 20lbs at 6 months.

Is she following her growth curve? That's what you should be watching, not just what she happens to weigh at a certain age.

Is the doctor concerned? If not, then you shouldn't be either.
    Anonymous

• No offense, but you really shouldn't be concerned about obesity at 14 months of age. 25 pounds seems pretty normal to me. My daughter is almost 16 months old, and weighs 20 pounds. Have you consulted her growth curve?
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 7:42 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• she is fine! My first two were big weighing 24 pounds at 12mos. Now they are 4 and 6 and not overweight. My 18mos old however is small just 2pounds. Basically the percetile will tell you where she is at compared to other kids and even if she is lets say 95% that means nothing now because she is just 14mos and they are active! Often they grow in height and slim down that way. Just be sure to feed her healthy and teach her good eating habits. My SO has obesity on his side so it is a concern but never do I worry about it when they are so small.
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 10:08 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I meant 22 pounds not 2 ...jeeze!
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 10:10 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• yea im son is 19months and weighs 25 pounds and the doctor said that is great

hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 11:50 PM on Oct. 21, 2009