My 11 year old daughter hates her 9 year old sister is that normal?

She asked me if she could move to Washington to live with her grandmother (my mother) for the remainder of the school year cause she wants to get away from her sister she said is this a normal thing she also wants to go to a different school she doesnt like anyone at her current school. Is this a typical 11 year old phase or does she perhaps need some counseling she did ask if she could go to a counseler which Im trying to find one in our area.

Gee68

Asked by Gee68 at 5:54 PM on Oct. 21, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Its def normal! Sadly I was the same way to my sister!
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 5:55 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• It is within that tween anxiety range. However, don't just write it off as hormonal. My son felt that way in middle school. He felt that way,we found out later, because he was a huge target for bullies. It is my opinion the 6-9th graders can be really vile and toxic to one another. Peer pressure is at the spearhead of everything in those years. Try really hard to open a dialogue with her to see if you can discover whether it is normal angst..or something else.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 6:01 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• My DS age 7 asked if we could put his sis age 9 up for adoption, my 17 year old DD does not like the younger too LOL, but she does love them. Some of it is normal but if she doesnt like anyone at her school and wants to move away, she does need to talk to someone. Her hormones could be going crazy, depression or something going on that you do not know about. With kids, it really is no telling.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 6:06 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• She did ask me last weekend if I ever got depressed and said she was sometimes depressed. Thats why Im now looking for a counseler. I dont know why she would be depressed except for the fact that her father and I fight alot, we used to do it in front of them till we realized the damage we were causing now we try to do it behind closed doors or even in the laundry room which is detached from the house, I have a very close relationship with both my girls and even though I try to hide when we fight and tell them nothing is wrong they know Im lying to them I tell them its not their fault but Im thinking that might be part of why she is feeling depressed that and we never do anything as a family and my husband doesnt allow me to drive his vehicle so me and the girls are pretty much stuck here all the time and weekends can be very long and boring if they dont have any friends over.
    Gee68

Answer by Gee68 at 6:32 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Tweens hate everyone.Hormones are coming about and feelings are intense. My sisters HATED each other growing up! We were worried for a minute there. Go figure now they live together as adults and are just fine.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 7:07 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• not likeing her sister is normal. not likinging anyone at school and wanting to change schools is mostly normal, but may need intervention.

your husband not allowing you to drive is NOT normal. also, don't lie to your girls and tell them your not fighting with hubby. tell them taht mom and dad dont agree on something right now, but they dont need to worry about it, and its not their fault

also, while looking for a counseler for your daughter, find a marriage counsler for you and hubby
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 10:05 AM on Oct. 22, 2009