What dietary restrictions do I have to look forward to breastfeeding a newborn?

I'm under the impression that a newborn has more special needs on my end, diet-wise than a baby who is feeding a little less often.

What can I expect my diet to be the first few months? No spicy foods? No alcohol or caffeine? Lots of milk?

I'm still waiting for the day I can drink a glass of wine!! But let's not get hung up on that.

What are my dietary needs?

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 6:03 PM on Oct. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't drink anyway, so I didn't have to worry about alcohol. Some is ok though. Starting when my babies were a week or two old, I went back to having a cup of coffee each morning, then two when they started getting older. Other than that, I just ate normally. It's easier to breastfeed than it is to be pregnant because you can have Nutrasweet (I missed diet soda when I was pregnant, but it doesn't pass into breastmilk), sushi, soft cheese, whatever. I mean, don't do a bunch of drugs and get smashed, but just eat normally and don't sweat it.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 7:55 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Avoid alcohol and caffeine and eat normally. Just pay attention if baby is acting unusually gassy -- it might be due to dairy or leafy vegetables. I breastfeed and have a glass of wine a day, starting when baby was 6 weeks. It's a-okay.
    Anonymous

• I don't have any caffine. A cup of hot tea once in the last 2 weeks with my new born. No coffee or pop. Lots of water, lots and lots. I drink a lot of milk as it is. I also eat a good amount of fruits and veggies, but you may have to watch things like onions and brocolli, can cause gas for baby. If you start to notice baby is gassy or fussy, look at your diet. Things like chocolate and even milk can be irritating them. But up to this point I haven't changed much of how I eat.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 6:07 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• The only thing I avoided was alcohol, I ate any and everything I wanted. I only drink one cup of coffee a day and I didn't change that, it never bothered my kiddos. Just a well balanced diet. Milk is good for you, but as one LC told me when I first started, "Milk doesn't make milk, water makes milk." So drink plenty of water. Personally, I was more hungry while breastfeeding than while I was pregnant, so I felt like I ate all the time.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 6:09 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Oatmeal beer is good for breastmilk supply! Have a hearty glass a couple times a week!
    Anonymous

• well everything you eat goes into your milk....so no alcohol untill you can KNOW you have enough time for it to be out of your system before the next feeding, (if you really want one you can pump and have one glass, it takes the same amount of time to get out of you milk as it does for it to get out of your blood system) anyways, I know people who stay off caffeine but I also know people hwo havn't, i kept caffeine to a min when I was bfing, you can basically eat anything but if something effects the baby in a neg way you will have to cut it out of your diet, and you have to eat a lot more, more than you are supposed to when you are pregnant even, LOTS AND LOTS OF Calories!
    Anonymous

• Every child is different. Some cannot tolerate broccoli, cauliflower, rice, beans, or milk. It wasn't fun when my youngest woke up at 2 a.m. and screamed for about 2 hrs with colic. My other 2 children didn't have trouble with these foods. I couldn't drink milk during all 3 of my pregnancy and for a short period after delivery. The milk tasted curdled.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 6:09 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Well anything you eat, a baby gets. So plain and simple, a balanced diet, and nothing someone underage couldn't have (yes that means no alcohol yet, at least according to my doc). I also had the limitation of allergies for my baby, so it will depend on how your child is. My daughter grew out of it, but I had to watch my dairy items at the time, which included everything from eggs to ice cream! I was told to have little caffeine as well. It's just like the meds you take, etc., it all goes to the baby. However, if you're exclusively breast feeding, a baby, regardless of age has the same dietary needs and requirements as any other baby (ie newborns and 6 month olds need the same thing, just less often). Really, it's you that has more dietary needs, b/c you will need twice as much nutrients b/c you're still feeding two people, just like when you were pregnant.
    elk571

Answer by elk571 at 6:10 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• The only thing I did was avoid caffine, and milk.. DS would throw up after nursing if I had milk or milk products and the caffine kept him awake LOL, so I switched to caffine free mt. dew, I was addicted at the time..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 6:10 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• The calorie intake is an addiitional 200 calories a day. The amount is a total of 500 extra calories. Meaning you increased you calories by 300 while pregnant so now you just increase that amount by another 200. But who really increases there calories by only 300 while pregnant LOL..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 6:13 PM on Oct. 21, 2009