hope this doesn't open a can of worms ... SAHM Q

in a nutshell my Q is: if you're a stay at home mom and not homeschooling and after your youngest starts 1st grade and you have 7-9 Mom-free hours every single day ... what is your title/profession then?

Also is it completely abnormal when your youngest is about to start school to want to pop out another baby real quick in order to maintain the integrity of your "profession"?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:06 PM on Oct. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• You're still a mom that stays at home. Hopefully you have a neater house than you did when all the kids for little and still at home all day. But you are still tending the home, building a loving a warm environment for the whole family, and are there to pick them up from school at the end of the day.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 6:57 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Homemaker is the professional term
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:07 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• housewife?
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 6:07 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• and yes its normal!! I want another also! lol
    Steph319

• You're still a stay at home mom. There are bills to pay, calendars to organize, errands to run, a home to clean, yardwork to do....what the hell is a "free" hour?

It's normal to want to have another baby, but not wise. Change outside of the norm is scary for most people.
    Anonymous

• Wanting another baby just to keep the idea of being an at home mom "legit"?? Bad idea. Having another baby because you really want another baby? Fabulous! :) And as as your title - stay-at-home-mom, homemaker, housewife, CEO of carpool, whatever you want to call it - it's all good. And as for free time. . . . . . hmmm, I'm not quite there yet since mine are all pre-preschool age yet, but from what I've heard from friends, you really only get busier. They volunteer at their kids' school, chapperone fieldtrips, run errands, clean the house, and do everything else that needs doing - I see that as a totally acceptable "job"
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 6:18 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• when does this "free time" occur, how to do i obtain it, and how much does it cost? lol

as for babies, i'm fixed- wish i weren't (life saving decision at the time), and desperately miss having a baby in the house.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:25 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• 7-9 free hours? I get less than 6, assuming there's not a delayed start due to fog or ice, which will cut it down to 3.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:33 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• You're still a SAHM even if all the kids are in school full time. You become a homemaker once they are all out of the house. My mom was a SAHM from the time I was born until my brother moved out of the house...21 years (he was 19 and going off to college). Then she was a homemaker for another couple of years before she died at the age of 51.

My youngest will start kindergarten in 2 years and I have no intention of finding a job unless I have to for survival. And I sure don't want to have any more kids. I'm just now getting the youngest off to school, why would I want to start all over again? I'm looking forward to it. After 11 years (by then) of non-stop mothering I need the break. I plan to get all my housework done early and then relax, knit, read, write, etc.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 6:35 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I'm still a mom even though they are in school and I still stay home. I'm still a stay-at-home-mom.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:41 PM on Oct. 21, 2009