why is it so hard to get pregnant?

see i live in a very small town in ohio and everyone is pregnant. all my friends everyone i see is pregnant. a quarter of these girls are minors. no they didnt even have to try it just happened. me and my husband have been trying for a year now and truthfuly im tired of watching all these girls get pregnant and live off there parents when i know im ready. my periods are irregular so its very hard for me to track but i do have to ovulation test strips. is there anyone out there with irregular periods that had trouble ttc???whats my best bet???

Wytegirl

Asked by Wytegirl at 6:15 PM on Oct. 21, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• I had extremely irregular periods my whole life. I was w/ my SO for years and never practiced safe sex. I really thought I would never get pregnant. After 3 years I got pregnant and I was thrilled. I ended up have a mc, but got pregnant again 2 yrs later, and now have a 2yr old son. My period became very regular after I had him & I am now expecting another w/ my now husband. I am sure you CAN get pregnant, but it will be more difficult as u probably don't ovulate every month. The book "Taking charge of your fertility" is really a great book and will help you to understand your body and make the most of when you actually are fertile. Most of all relax and don't look at everyone else's pregnancies as a slap in the face. I am sure it will happen for you, and the wait will just make you appreciate it all the more. No judgement, just make sure you want a baby for the right reasons and that you can afford to provide for one!
    Anonymous

• hi there i was in the same place as you it took me 2 yrs to get pregnant ... i didnt ovulation to find out i had irregular period too.. u may want to go to the dr wish u luck
    keithamy06

Answer by keithamy06 at 6:30 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I've always had irregular periods (24-79 days at the extremes since I've been keeping track). The best thing I ever did was start charting. Read Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler and check out www.fertilityfriend.com for some good tips. Charting BBT is good to tell you for sure when/if you've ovulated and lets you know when you can expect your period and when you can take a test. To tell when you're fertile, chart your CM and you should be able to tell when you're within a few days of ovulation. And this will also give you a heads up if you have any problems that you need to bring up with your doctor. If you have any other questions, feel free to send me a message and I'll answer the best I can. Good luck! :)

DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 6:31 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• my doctor says im young and that my periods are going to be irregular.
    Wytegirl

Answer by Wytegirl at 6:32 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Well how young are you? Because I only thought they would be irregular in the first year or two of starting your period. Sometimes it takes a long time to get pregnant, you may just be trying at the wrong time.
    NAT24ROXY24

Answer by NAT24ROXY24 at 6:37 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Ha ha ha ha. I didn't think I would find a question like this on here.
    My story is this (short version)...
    I am 25 and have been TTC for 3 years now. I went through 6 cycles of Clomid and IUI's each month as well as 4 additional cycles of Femera, Metformin, and IUI's. Still have no baby. We have stopped using medical ways to concieve. Doc said prolly wont happen for us. I have been diagnosed with PCOS.
    We have since then become foster parents. We will probably adopt in the future.
    jarlint

Answer by jarlint at 6:39 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• OH and the foster kids' social worker is preggo, the case worker is preggo, 4 of my co-workers are preggo and 3 of my friends are preggo....
    LIfe sucks for me right now!!!
    jarlint

Answer by jarlint at 6:40 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• lets just say ive had a period for 5 years now.
    Wytegirl

Answer by Wytegirl at 7:22 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• go back to your doctor and ask for further fertility testing- and make sure they test both you and your SO. Irregular periods are a sign that you may not be ovulating, which could be PCOS- a disorder that affects 10% of women, but most don't know they have it. PCOS doesn't make it impossible to get pregnant, but much more difficult. After a year of ttc, you are officially labled infertile, and your doctor doesn't sound like he or she is listening to you. You can see another doctor and look into Clomid, which is a low-grade fertility drug that will force ovulation. We tried for 4 years before having my angel- she is 15 months now, and I'm looking into whether we should try again or go right back to the specialist.
    musichollie

Answer by musichollie at 9:55 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• that's really young. I'm guessing 18, 19 at most. your profile says you have two kids. you're married? not to judge, I'm just surprised you've taken on so much for being so young. your body (and actually your mind- its a fact, not a jab) isn't fully matured until you're 22. that's probably why you're having problems- people who are physcially immature have more difficulties in pregnancy. In a way, its a blessing in disguise that you're having trouble right now since many young girls have severe pregnancy complications because they give birth so young.
    Anonymous