Infant Asthma??? Soooo many questions... Desperate mom in need of answers, help, and support.

Eight weeks ago my 3 mo. old son came down with a cold. Low grade fever for 2 days, regular symptoms took him to the Dr, he says no big just a cold. A week later he wakes up one night with a terrible cough & couldn't catch his breath(horrifying!) We went back to the dr, they say he has something mimicing asthma do nebulizer treatment with albuteral evry 4hrs. he got better in 3 weeks but still small wheezing, we did chest xrays, they're okay, Thank GOD! We went to a speacialist, he says he has infant asthma that he'll grow out of, put him on pulacort 2x's a day. Helped for 5 days then coughing in weezing again. he's now been sick foe 8 weeks hes get better for 2 or 3 days and then really bad again. I don't know what to do, this just doesn't seem right. Has anyone esle been threw this? Please help, Thank you. And any prayers would be greatly appreciated

madsmom314

Asked by madsmom314 at 6:17 PM on Oct. 21, 2009 in Health

• My nephew had to do nebulizer treatments every night for the whole winter. Now he does them maybe 3 times a year. It will get better. If he is weezing then do the nebby. It really helps
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:23 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I would keep on top of the doctors. Are they sure he doesn't have RSV or something like that? Does his stomach muscles cave in by his ribs when he breaths? I would call the doctor and let him know that this is not okay for your baby to constantly be like this. You know when something is wrong, the doctors don't know everything. Praying for your little boy.

NAT24ROXY24

Answer by NAT24ROXY24 at 6:23 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• he is 4 but the 3 years prior he was doing them on a nightly basis
    Steph319

• my little one has virul asthma, everytime he gets a cold his lungs flair up, before he turned 1 we have been inthe hospital at least 5-6 times it doea get easier as he gets older, i would not use pulmicort( steriods) on such a small infant but use the nebulizer as needed also steam showers help, elevating his mattress a bit and also look into homeopathic medicanes.... we did the pulmicort for about a mo but i feel if my kid is not showing any symptoms i won't dose him unnecessarily and u need to with pulmicort now i have a nebulizer that is always on hand and also a inhaler for on the go because as they get older, it's only happened once to me but he screamed himself into an asthma attack.... good luck sleep when he does
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 6:31 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• There are many things you can do to improve your home air quality too! HEPA filters remove mold and allergens. You can put a HEPA in your HVAC system and your vacuum. Stop using bleach. The chlorine fumes can contribute to breathing problems. Use hydrogen peroxide instead. Avoid cleaners with strong smells. Try to use fragrance-free EVERYTHING. No burning candles, no air fresheners, etc. Also, if anyone smokes or is around smoke at work, sometimes the lingering tar on clothes can trigger an attack in sensitive people.

Those changes helped my sister grow out of her asthma. She no longer needs inhalers or breathing therapies. But, she still can't be exposed to any of those triggers that pollute indoor air quality.

ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 7:05 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• my son was like that...he is almost 5 and still has trouble every time the seasons change. I have to give him the pulmicort and albuteral also nasal spray. I also have to give him meds to settle his stomach. They say i cant have him tested for allergys until he turns 6 so we will see what it is soon i hope. I hope your child can get better.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:11 AM on Oct. 23, 2009

• I went thru this EXACTLY!!! We took our son to a pediatric pulminary speacialist and he put him on a small dose of meds for acid reflux and it decreased his asthma symptoms dramatically! It sounds strange, but all of those parts are connected lol Good luck and Hang in there!!! Its tough but youll get through it!
    madsmom314

Answer by madsmom314 at 2:41 AM on Jun. 17, 2010