I need help with my 3 year old son Jayce.

My son is 3. He is the middle child and there is only a year and 2 months bw him and his baby sis. We didnt plan to have anymore so she was a big surprise. I was very worried bc they were going to be soo close and he was only 1 when she was born and that worried me bc i knew he was still a small baby who needed me just as much as my lil girl. To make matters worse my hubby went to iraq for the 2nd time anout a month after my daughter was born so basically i was like a single parent to 3 children. My son does everything in his power to get into everything so i am constanly disiplining him, he is the one that gets in the most trouble there for i think thats another reason he finds things to get into to get attention. I try to give him extra time by himslef but now i just dont know what to do i need some help plz with disiplin and suggestions on sparing more tme with him by himself. will be hard bc hubby works &goes to school.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:28 PM on Oct. 21, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Is your older child a boy too, or a girl? 3 year-old boys are very special in their own way, because they continually get into EVERYTHING! ~ IS he being curious and busy, or defiant and naughty? I think you need to determine the root cause of his behavior before you can properly address it. Maybe he just needs more activities that stimulate him...
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 6:44 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Boys are 100% different from girls. But it does not excuse poor behavior. I use my teaching experience when it comes to parenting my children and I find that catching good behavior definately helps get rid of some of the bad behavior. This eliminates the "negative" attention that kids revert to. Even three year olds can benefit from a good behavior chart. Laminated pieces of paper and velcro are awesome. My 3 year old has a chart with five velcro circles and he has little cars with velcro on them that he gets to place on the paper when he has done what is asked of him. My son is a handful so I know what it is like to be chasing after a "tornado" but I also know that when I am stressed about work, finances etc. his behavior seems to escalate. Is he feeding off my negative vibes or do I not have as much patience as I normally would?
    heidilane

Answer by heidilane at 1:14 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• There is a great book called, Sheparding your Child's Heart. It helped me when my dd was acting out after my dh took a seasonal job away from home. I know it is a challenge, but I have to ask myself often if my 3 yr old is in need of positive attention, discipline, or if I just need to clean up the clutter so that she has more freedom to play.
    Jennibug

Answer by Jennibug at 10:44 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I really dont know how to help ya on that one cause DD is an only child right now..Sorry and good luck
    bonham

Answer by bonham at 11:47 AM on Oct. 23, 2009