Has anyone wrote a letter to their child's school requesting an assessment?

In regards to behavioral issues?
My older son was a drug baby (i did not give birth, so no bashing!). He has CP and has been neglected and mildly abused. However, i believe that there is something more going on.
He is getting in trouble at school and i was told by our local organization that helps with children who have special needs, that i need to write a letter to the school requesting assessment and that the school will then have 15 days to reply.

I need help with wording. I've never written a letter like this so i'm not sure how assertive i should sound or what would be the best words to use. How much information should i give them, or should it just be straight to the point request?

I have thought for a long time that there was something going on. I was just afraid to get him diagnosed at an earlier age because i didn't want misdiagnosis.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:03 PM on Oct. 21, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Just keep it simple and polite. Save the aggressive for when (not if) they give you trouble. Make sure you put the date and keep a copy, of course.
    Dear Whoever,
    I am requesting that my son be tested for ___________________ due to problems he has been having with _____________. I understand there is a 15 day window and appreciate your diligence in getting his testing done. Please contact me if I need to do anything further.
    Sincerely,
    mama
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 7:47 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I'm the SpEd chair in my building, and my first question is: have you spoken with his pediatrician? The school can test, but it cannot diagnose. Testing students regarding behavioral concerns can be lengthy ; for example, we have to have a Behavior Specialist come in BEFORE we refer a student because of behavior. And many parents/advocates, etc. are disappointed when we go through the testing of a student and end up finding the child ineligible. So, definitely check with his doctor. When you write the letter, simply outline your concerns with his behavior at school. It doesn't have to be long but you want to be sure you ask for the testing based on your concern: "Given my son's inappropriate behavior, I am incredibly concerned. I would like to request a full battery of tests including but not limited to: academic (skills/grade levels); & an educational psychological (learning style) and projective (social/emo
    jonosmama

Answer by jonosmama at 7:46 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• con'td... "tional themes.)" If he has CP, you may also request an Occupational Therapy eval (fine motor/visual perception which can affect reading/writing) and/or Physical Therapy eval (gross motor skills/coordination which can affect how he moves his body.) If there are concerns with his language (understanding directions or spoken,) you may want to request a speech/language eval as well. When you are contacted, please read EVERYthing and save your copies. I advise every parent to keep a binder of all the forms I send along with a communication log; this way you keep track of everything. Sharing his history is important once the testing gets underway; the school psychologist should contact you to get background info. I don't know where you are, but there are state and federal guidelines which dictate strict timelines; please check with the Department of Ed in your area to be sure of those also. Good Luck!
    jonosmama

Answer by jonosmama at 7:54 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Just one last thing... Where I am, I have 5 WORKING/SCHOOL days to respond to your letter. Then, I send you the consent forms for testing. Once I receive your signed consent, the school has 30 working/school days to evaluate your child. Then, we have an additional 15 days in which to me. So, your response can delay an already lengthy process. However, this is in the state of MA. Again, good luck and best wishes!
    jonosmama

Answer by jonosmama at 7:58 PM on Oct. 21, 2009