Has anyone wrote a letter to their child's school requesting an assessment?

In regards to behavioral issues?
My older son was a drug baby (i did not give birth, so no bashing!). He has CP and has been neglected and mildly abused. However, i believe that there is something more going on.
He is getting in trouble at school and i was told by our local organization that helps with children who have special needs, that i need to write a letter to the school requesting assessment and that the school will then have 15 days to reply.

I need help with wording. I've never written a letter like this so i'm not sure how assertive i should sound or what would be the best words to use. How much information should i give them, or should it just be straight to the point request?

I have thought for a long time that there was something going on. I was just afraid to get him diagnosed at an earlier age because i didn't want misdiagnosis.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:04 PM on Oct. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• When I wrote my letter to our school it was addressed to the special education committee. I wrote them and told them that I would like for them to do an in school assessment on my son ______ for_________
    I like what the first person wrote....use hers as a guide but make it your own, use your own wording. Make a copy of it.
    Our school district has 30 days to respond to requests like that
    good luck
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 9:02 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I'm a writing teacher... I'm happy to edit or help. You can msg me your letter if you have one started. Here is what I would say:

Dear (name of special needs teacher),

As you know, my son (full name) faces challenges due to his CP. My number one priority is helping him excel at your school. I would like him to undergo diagnostic testing to better understand the full range of his abilities and challenges. Please contact me so that we may schedule this testing as soon as possible.

Additionally, I am interested in your professional opinion about supplemental activities that can help my son develop to his full potential. I am available (list 2 or 3 dates) to meet with you in person. I appreciate your concern, support, and dedication as one of his teachers.

Your name
    2 or more phone #s where you can be reached
    your email address
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 7:13 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Short and sweet, you put in every single one of your concerns. You tell them simply that you have these concerns and don't know to where to turn. You tell them you feel your son needs more help that he is receiving either from your or the current school situation. Put in as much detail as you can without getting long winded.

You don't just request evaluations, you tell them WHY you want the evaluations, why you're concerned, and especially HOW it is impacting his scholastic career!
    Anonymous