friends house on weekday? yes or no?

my 8 year old son is at the age were he wants to go to friend's house's on weekdays. i dont think its okay. i think you should stay home and be with the family during the school nights, and see your friend's on the weekends. my husband thinks its okay during the school nights, as long as he is done with everything he needs to do. ( homework, chores)...... what do you guys think?????

jennna

Asked by jennna at 7:10 PM on Oct. 21, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• As long as everything is done and he's not out too late it shouldn't be an issue. Some families are too busy during the weekends for friends.
    Anonymous

• I think afterschool until or thru dinner time is good. As a child my two best friends a I were always at each others house. It went something like this, school out, check in at home, then over to one of three of our homes. When the first dad got home then everybody went to their own homes unless arrangements had been made with moms. Supper and homework. That was Mon-Thur Fridays were sleep-over night Sat. frree after chores, Sundays we did something as family after church. Times were a lot freer then our moms always knew where we were but we weren't micro-managed like parents have to do now for safety reasons.
    Anonymous

• I would think it would be fine just as long as all thing are done and he is home for dinner. But there would be one night I would make as a family night no friends, no phones, no internet just family speding time together
    Mrs.Wyatt2009

Answer by Mrs.Wyatt2009 at 1:45 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• The rule in my house: homework first, friends second during the week. My son recently asked me if he could have a friend spend the night during the week and I told him absolutely NOT. That is definitely for weekends :)
    lissa27504

Answer by lissa27504 at 9:03 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• As long as my kids school work is done then I dont' care if they are at a friends house, as long as they are home for dinner
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:23 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I allow it every now and then, maybe once every couple of weeks. My daughter (8), has a very good friend in our neighborhood who is very busy on the weekends with soccer games, plus she has 3 other siblings and they are always on the go. The only time she can really get together is on Wednesdays, so every couple of weeks, they will get together for maybe 2 hours after school. I don't think there's anything wrong with allowing it from time to time; you don't have to make it a daily thing though. Some of the kids in our neighborhood are outside playing together til 7 pm or so every single day. I wonder how late they are going to bed if they're out that late, then still have to shower, have dinner, do homework, etc. That just wouldn't work for my family.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 9:25 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• if a parent is home after school I have no problem with them going occassionally right after school with the assumption they know I'll pick them up on my way home. Possible even staying for dinner if they are invited. Course I'm mean and that also depends on their grades.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 10:43 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• my dd plays with friends some during the week. she meets up with neighbors and rides bikes or has a friend come home after school and they leave b4 dinner.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:27 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• All of the kids in my neighborhood play together. They are outside everyday riding bikes, playing ball, or playing on somebody's swingset. There is always at least one of the parents outside and they all come in around 4:30 or 5. It's a great way for the kids to wind down from thier day, and get some excersise! :) I see no problem with it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• i'm with your husband. my son usually spends 45 min over at our neighbors. they need that outside play. because in a few years you'llbe kicking them out :) just like we parents need a wind down, kids need one too. they get 30 minutes for recess after 8 hours of school. i think they deserve some time around kids not being learning, just playing, more thant he 30 min from recess
    ssnelson26

Answer by ssnelson26 at 12:19 PM on Oct. 22, 2009