Breastfeeding after formula feeding. Can I get my breast milk back after 7 weeks

I have formula fed my 7 week old but he is having major issues with it so I was wondering if anyone knows if I can get my milk back so I can breastfeed my DS? I started with formula right out of the hospital but I'm thinking I can breastfeed because he is having such issues with formula I want him to thrive. Can I get my breastmilk back? Please anyone!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:35 PM on Oct. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I dont think there is any natural way to get that breastmilk back because technically if you never started breastfeeding then your milk never came in. I and pretty sure there is a pill you can get from your doctor that will make you lactate again. Talk to you doctor is the only advice i have. hope i helped.
    Amanda7891

Answer by Amanda7891 at 7:39 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I believe that you can because I've heard of adoptive moms doing it. It's probably going to be very difficult but it is possible. I would contact a good lactation specialist.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 7:44 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• YEAH you can get it back, its a lot of work but even moms who adopt and have never even hd a baby can BF.

First call the local hospital abd see the lactation consultant, call WIC about getting a pump or rent one from the hospital...or buy a medela brand double pump.

Get a supplimental nursing system and stop bottles...pump after every feeding for 10 minutes, take 9-12 fenugreek pills daily(GNC) eat oatmeal, drink mothers milk tea(GNC or target), and if you still struggle to get milk you can get Reglan or DOmperidine prescribed by your doctor. Reglan can cause depression so some doctors will not prescribe it.

Join the group I am admin of...called FFing moms who want to Bf next time or even relactate..(you want to relactate...)
    http://www.cafemom.com/group/37539

and check out this website
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/adopt/index.html
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 7:46 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• You absolutely can! Refer to tabi_cat above for additional info. Good Luck!

Anonymous

• 100% YES!

The ONLY time the answer is no is when you've had a mastectomy.

Google "relactation." TONS of info.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:51 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• im pretty sure!
    i started up again at 4weeksold dd
    with fenugreek pills and loots of breast stimulat
    queenamy

Answer by queenamy at 7:53 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Thank you ladies soo much! I'm going to research and try to start right away. Very helpful info.
    Anonymous

• yes you can!!1 of course moms who adopt are able to bf so why not you!!
    1PUMP PUMP
    2. SEE IF BABY TAKED TO BREAST
    3. UPTALE YOUR LIQUID INTAKE,
    4. MOTHERS MILK TEA, FERNUGREEK WORKD GREAT
    5 LAST OPTION IS PRESCRIPTION ONE IS CALLED REGLAN THE OTEHR STARTS WITH A D.
    6. CONTACT LC
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 10:15 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• YES you most definitely can. First thing is buy a supplemental nursing system and give the formula you are currently giving through it. It is a little tube that attaches to your breast and provides either pumped milk or formula and also breast stimulation. Stop giving bottles all together and pump. Pump one side while nursing on the other. Fenugreek and more liquid and a few more calories. Google relactation and start reading everything you can.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 10:05 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• my son is almost 5 and my breasts still leak sometimes...i think its cuz my horomones are out of whack though!
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:09 AM on Oct. 23, 2009