Is this the kind of responsible and transparent politics Democrats are talking about?

Pelosi is proposing to do, and what Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada tried and failed to do Wednesday, is strip provisions out of the healthcare reform package that freeze cuts in payments
to doctors that are mandated under current law and take them up as a separate piece of legislation that would, therefore, not count toward the healthcare reform bottom line.

The bill, the Medicare Physicians Fairness Act—which on Capitol Hill is also being called the "Doc Fix"—would cost the federal government nearly $250 billion over 10 years which, when it was part of the healthcare bill, boosted the cost well above what Obama told Congress he could accept. As Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky said Wednesday in opposing it, the payments freeze as currently constructed is just "another quarter of a trillion dollars on the federal credit card."

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 7:45 PM on Oct. 21, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Without the freeze, doctors would see their Medicare reimbursements drop by 21 percent in 2010 and by 40 percent by 2016. So passing it, in healthcare reform or outside of it, is seen by congressional Democrats as something that is essential if the final bill, whatever it says, is to win the support of the American Medical Association.

More than that, the move to separate out the "doc fix" from the overall reform package has provided yet another lightening rod for critics of Obamacare. As conservative healthcare expert Peter Ferrara puts it, "For the Democrats to put the supposed fix for payments to doctors and hospitals in a separate bill and call the original health overhaul bill deficit neutral is an unprecedented legislative fraud on the American people."
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:45 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:47 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• For the Democrats to put the supposed fix for payments to doctors and hospitals in a separate bill and call the original health overhaul bill deficit neutral is an unprecedented legislative fraud on the American people."

Speaks VOLUMES

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:49 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• They are so desperate to get anything and every thing in this bill. I bet there are so many earmarks that have absolutely nothing to do with health or care. Newt Ginghrich said on Fox the other night that we should stop stressing over all of this. He said that the bill may pass. I doesn't take effect until 2013 (after BO is voted out or in his lame duck term and won't hurt his re-election chances. There's a plan for sure!) Then the Congress will be cleaned out of all the representatives that voted for it in the 2010 and 2012 elections. The new members can repeal all of the crap the BO administration has put into play. I love to hear someone thinking with logic and not emotions all the time.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:55 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• FIRING 2010!

Call the idiots and tell them to vote no now!
    Impeach pelosi!
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 8:26 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• You know about it so the cover-up wasn't quite so complete was it? Of course politicians will try to manipulate bills--she is losing fans every day with her extreme views (I am a Democrat, support Obama, but I never voted for this botox queen nor do I agree with much that comes from her mouth). Others are on to the dragon lady.
    PsWifey

Answer by PsWifey at 8:32 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Some of these idiots like Pelosi won't get voted out because they come from liberal extremist area. But many don't.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:36 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• She needs to fly back where she came from and stay there!!!
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 10:08 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I don't know that Pelosi's constituents are totally radical. They voted in the Arnold, didn't they?

I cannot help but shudder when I write this, but I agree with Newt. This bill is going to pass. I don't think we have seen a clear idea of what will really be in it though.

And like PSW said, not entirely covered up.
    LiliM

Answer by LiliM at 10:26 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• They do seem determined to carry out a "mass extinction" of the elderly. Our town had 6 doctors this past year stop taking Medicare. Doctors will not be able to afford to treat these patients.

It makes me physically sick to see the Democratic party turn on the elderly the way they have. It is today's elderly that has helped put the Democrats where they are. Slapping Grandma & Grandpa around is just sick.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:28 PM on Oct. 21, 2009