mothers with disabled/special needs kids...

Did you TTC after having a disabled child?

or did you feel your disabled child needed your full attention?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:47 PM on Oct. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• My oldest has moderate/severe autism, but I already had his younger brother and sister by the time I found out. I did TTC my youngest because I feel it's been beneficial for him to have siblings and he's now 12, so I'm at a point where he's doesn't need me as much as he did when he was younger.

Answer by missanc at 7:51 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• My second son was born with Down Syndrome and with ASD...a large hole in his heart that he has to get surgery on in the next couple of months. He is now 3yrs. old. I have 3 boys and am 13 weeks pregnant with baby #4. He does very well with his brothers and i am able to give him all the attention he needs and that is why i am a SAHM. He now goes to preschool 3 days a week for 2 1/2 hrs. a day. I have a teaching degree in spec. educ and have worked with him from day one along with early intervention. Dom does very well socially and is very good at figuring things out. He loves to draw and look at books. those are his favorite activites. We have memberships to the museums and the zoo here so he is exposed to many different things that are enriching.
    Anonymous

• Yes, we did, but it never happened, so we have only our special one and he is our world.
    Anonymous

• I THINK PEOPLE WHO TTC AFTER HAVING A SPECIAL NEEDS CHILD ARE ASSHOLES! WHY TAKE AWAY FROM A POSSIBLY NORMAL CHILD YOULL BE HAVING ?!
    Anonymous

• I did not want any more kids after my special needs son....only because of my age. I knew when I was still pregnant that he would be my last.......it has nothing at all to do with his Autism
    Anonymous

• Anon :44 I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean it would be bad for the "normal" child you might have to have a sibling with special needs? I don't have any kids with special needs, but I do work with them and had an uncle with Cerbral Palsy (he was 5 years older than me, the same age as my dh). It was in no way a detriment to me or any member of my family that there was a member of our family with special needs. I think it made us all more understanding, patient, compassionate, empathetic, better people all around, most of whom at some point have worked with people with special needs in a variety of ways. Because we know that for every challenge a person with special needs presents, they provide so much more in rewards. I love my job and the kids I work with because of who they are, not in spite of it.

Anon :44, you are the asshole.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 9:45 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I agree with canadianmom! What gives this person the right to judge! God is the only judge! I am blessed with 2 kids, my son, who is living with autism, and my daughter, who is typical, thank you! I didn't have any other kids after my son, because I have other health issues, like that's any of anon:44's business.
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 10:19 PM on Oct. 21, 2009