working.

has anyone ever worked at a library? im going to see if there is a position available at ours tomorrow. since its a govt based job..is it the same as applying at a "regular" job? if you have worked at one did you enjoy it? i think its a perfect job for me! wish me luck

naturepeace

Asked by naturepeace at 8:07 PM on Oct. 21, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I worked at a public library all through college. Depending on who runs the library, you won't be able to apply there directly. Instead, go to the city or county website, or to the school website. THere will be job announcements for positions ranging from page (book shelver) on up.

I was a page. tried for Clerk but couldn't pass the typing test.

Requirements will depend on the agency. I had to take a written test that was given on a specific date. Also a physical. I'm sure there are drug tests.

No, it's not ANYTHING like applying for a "regular" job. The head librarian will not be able to give you a job on the spot; it can take weeks to go through the hiring process.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:20 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Oooh good luck! I have often thought that I would love working in the library, but when postings come up, it wants a degree in Library Studies. I do not have that, but I can figure out the Dewey Decimal system. I hope you get it.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:36 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I was on our city library website and, out of curiosity, looked at the job openings and most of them you need a college degree for. The only ones you didn't were actually volunteer jobs. You can't even stack books without a degree, lol.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:18 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• are you serious justanotherjen?? wow..that seems a bit weird huh? wel we'll see tomorrow if they say i'll need that.:) lol
    naturepeace

Answer by naturepeace at 10:33 PM on Oct. 21, 2009