How do I get her to eat?

My 18 month old daughter refuses to eat. She's been very sick for the past month and a half. We think we've found the problem, a cat allergy, and removed the cat from our home. It's been about a week. She seems to be on the mend, but refuses to eat 90% of the time. All she's eaten today was breakfast, and that was YoBaby. It's scaring me to death. Has anyone else had this problem and what worked for you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:16 PM on Oct. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• let her eat anything she wants. even if its just cookies, until she gets better atleast she wont be starving. get v8 juice the fruity kind that way shell get the serving of fruit n veggies she needs too and give her milk w.her cookies too.
    OliviasMommy614

Answer by OliviasMommy614 at 8:19 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• She may just be in what I call an air-o-tarian phase! They all go through it. First, make sure that she is drinking water, so she doesn't get dehydrated.
    Just keep offering a variety of healthy foods, and eventually she will start eating. Frozen foods are fun to play with, and will get eaten, like peas, blueberries and corn. Chunks of avocado and tofu are loaded with great nutrition, and are fun to squish between little fingers.
    I have never met a toddler who wouldn't eat hummus (lots of calcium, protein, good fats and iron), you can mix it with a mashed egg.
    Offer cut fruits with yogurt dip, fresh veggies with hummus or salad dressing, cooked whole wheat pasta and veggies with marinara or peanut sauce or cheese sauce.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:21 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I would continue to offer her a variety of healthy foods as well as milk and water. If the cat was definitely the problem and there's nothing else going on, she'll get hungry and will eat. Keep the pedi in the loop. Good luck!
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 9:00 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• My daughter has been sick with the flu for the past two weeks and she's been living on mandarin oranges, frozen yogurt and cheese! Play favorites...just let her eat whatever she wants. Also...give her plenty of liquids and don't dilute for the time being...she needs all the calories she can get and if it is sweeter, she's more likely to drink more. OJ is a big favorite right now. I also give my 18 mo. old small pieces of ice...she loves ice and it keeps her cool, busy and hydrated! Good Luck.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 10:56 PM on Oct. 21, 2009