how to take care of reaction to a shot?

my son has never really had areaction to a shot other than feeling a bit tired afterwards. the nurse had him sit on my lap ths time, since he is quite a fighter. he squirmed like crazy, but I held his legs between mine the best I could. his injection sight is a little swollen, i'm kinda thinking it might be irritation from his legs wiggling a little bit when he got the shot. he only got it yesterday, so I'm gonna give it another day, but I have been putting neosporin on it...is that good? or should I put something else on it? maybe a cold compress? if it doesnt go down my tomorrow should I call the pediatrician?

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 8:37 PM on Oct. 21, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I agree w/Tryfry. Sounds normal to me. Lay off the mama guilt - it's not because you didn't hold him tight enough, it happens.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Sounds like a vaccine reaction to me.
    Go here: http://www.cafemom.com/group/4388
    These ladies can help you on how to treat it.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 9:03 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Every time my kids get shots it get a little red and swollen. The redness and swolleness goes away in a couple of days. Sometimes a little hard knot will stay longer, even a few weeks. I have never put anything on it. My doctor's office always told me as well that this is what would happen.
    Anonymous

• I think most kids do that. I don't think a cold compress will hurt any and neosporin is fine
    Anonymous

• That is a very common reaction to a vaccination. Just give him Advil and ice the spot, The redness and swelling should go away in a few days. There is nothing to freak out about.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:15 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• thank you so much ladies! I was just worried, because I've never seen this reaction before! it still feels hard, but it isnt as red and swollen today! plus it isnt sensitive to the touch anymore!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:57 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• yepp thats happened to my son twice and my mom and sisters said it happened to all of their kids....
    KatieP.

Answer by KatieP. at 9:53 AM on Oct. 23, 2009